So what did you do (or learn) this past weekend? (5/30)

This could be a fun thread to do each Monday. :P

As the title suggests, what did you do or learn about filmmaking over the past weekend? (or week, even)

As for myself:

I made two temporary backdrops, for use with greenscreened miniatures. I made them in two different shapes, as well. Both have 3 walls.

The goal was to get some practise in light-placing and camera-movement around a still object.

I ended up as far as getting the lights I needed from Home Depot, and getting a lot of green paint on objects in my house that are not supposed to be green. :blush: In any event, it's all set up now for a good start tomorrow.

Edit: Added a short page on it here

So what did you do or learn about filmmaking this weekend? It doesn't have to be huge; even the smallest points on filmcraft add up :D

This relates loosely to filmmaking in general, but specifically to MY film career: Making profit from your own business is infinitely harder than you think...or at least harder than I thought. My production company is non-profit (unoficially) right now anyway, but I am hoping to someday turn it into a business that can earn me enough money to live off of...that may never happen. Let me explain why I am just figuring this out:

I was planning to start a new website business aimed for twenty somethings on the web...I wanted to sell clothes, and ad space, etc. I had it all (well, mostly) planned out. I had an advertising strategy and everything...

I told you that to tell you this: I am currently an affiliate for another company...Globat.com. I make commision every time I get them a sale. Well, I decided to buy an ad at ebaumsworld.com (perhaps you've heard of it). The ad cost $200. It guaranteed traffic (and delivered), so I thought that for sure I would make like $400-$650 commision from that ad...maybe even more! Well, the week is half over and, although the link has gotten 1,500 hits...I have earned no sales. I haven't even earned my ad money back!

Meanwhile...at my real job as a waitor...I made about $250 this week so far. proof that working for yourself is far less rewarding monitarily than working for someone else (most of the time).

I'm sure that after consistent hard work, my entrepeneuer (I can't spell) luck will change, but for right now I need to start working double shifts at the restaurant to earn my dough.

...Oh yeah, and that site is now being postponed...maybe it will be canned completely, because I don't think it will earn any money now with what I know!

I learned that no matter how many times you change an edit for a group of people, someone isn't going to be happy, and they'll make you work over your holiday weekend until you please every fucking one....but I'm not bitter....

Been messing around with various materials far a cheap [read: very cheap] greenscreen setup. Still have to do some initial test but the thing has been built (utilizing some wonderfully cheap fabric which certainly does not equate to "the green" commonly used). Maybe I'll post some of my test this week ;)

Zensteve said:
This could be a fun thread to do each Monday. :P

As the title suggests, what did you do or learn about filmmaking over the past weekend? (or week, even)

This weekend I was notified that my film ...To Skin a Cat was selected for the Long Island International Film Expo, so that was good news! All in all a good weekend :)

Congrats to you, Indie!

I spent part of the weekend at EMACT (Eastern Massachusetts Association of Community Theaters) competition. Went there to cheer on "Bob's Date" by John Shanahan, presented by the Curtain Call Theater.

Got to see the four finalists - all were outstanding. Bob's Date won (a) Best Director; (b) Best Supporting Actor; (c) Best Costume Design; (d) Risk-Taking Award. The play was nominated for (a) Best Actor; (b) Best Actress; (c) Best Ensemble.

Oh, and they were selected as the runner-up (second place) overall. Quite an accomplishment. I have an affinity for the play since I was a character in the first staged production of the show. It's kind of strange watching someone else perform the role you created, you know?

How is that related to filmmaking? Well, the author asked if I'd produce a treatment for another of his works. Can't wait to get busy on that!

I learned that if I don't start recycling Twisters will hit LA, New York will freeze over, and Dennis Quaid and Jake Gyllenhaal won't be able to find each other.

I also learned that Ewan McGregor has a big schlong.

I also learned that Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind gets better every time you see it.

Poke

Last week I learnt the importance of keeping up fantastic communication with the labs. Unfortunately when they returned the second batch of processed rushed and telecinéd stock they had transfered it to 4:3 when I had shot in 16:9... meaning I had cropped frames each side - arrrgghhh!

So I'll be on their case and keeping up better communication from now on! It's all for the good of progression - radical.

Back