Canon 5D M2 + Panasonic GH2 for feature...

I own a GH2 and my DP owns a 5D. He suggests that we use both camera's on our feature shoot but I'm worried about the look and feel changing via his and my shots.

My Gh2 is avchd intra via a driftwood hack and knocks out about 100mbps. I also really like my Voigtlkander lens. He has some pro-primes too.

On one hand I want the whole thing to have the look and feel of the hacked Gh2 but on the other hand it would save much time to have a second camera, plus the 5D is awesome in it's own right.

Will there be a noticable difference between the two camera's? If I do use them should I set a routine e.g Gh2 gets master shots, 5D close ups etc?

I own a GH2 and my DP owns a 5D. He suggests that we use both camera's on our feature shoot but I'm worried about the look and feel changing via his and my shots.

My Gh2 is avchd intra via a driftwood hack and knocks out about 100mbps. I also really like my Voigtlkander lens. He has some pro-primes too.

On one hand I want the whole thing to have the look and feel of the hacked Gh2 but on the other hand it would save much time to have a second camera, plus the 5D is awesome in it's own right.

Will there be a noticable difference between the two camera's? If I do use them should I set a routine e.g Gh2 gets master shots, 5D close ups etc?

dr - you should be OK, if you keep the 5D away from patterned rooflines and fabrics. Here are a few clips where people have intercut (or compared) GH2/Driftwood with the 5D MkII:

http://vimeo.com/36977726
http://vimeo.com/40805065
http://vimeo.com/45346023

Cheers,

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
Keep the MKii for tights or mediums and you're fine. It'll be hard to match them though, canon footage looks SD in comparison, especially in the same cut and especially on a very large screen (2k projector).

Keep the MKii for tights or mediums and you're fine. It'll be hard to match them though, canon footage looks SD in comparison, especially in the same cut and especially on a very large screen (2k projector).

Ha, you're gonna piss off some 5D owners Kholi. It's worrying that you think the difference is so vast. I must run my own test.

Thanks Bruner for the video's, the video with the girl is helpful, it seems the Gh2 is alot sharper.

Last edited:
Those comparisons don't really mean much. It's pretty obvious the Aperture was close to wide open on the 5D footage in the commercial example. Do the same shot at 5.6 and the DOF difference wouldn't have been so stark (Which what you're seeing, the difference in DOF).

I'd discourage you from using multiple cameras, just pick one or the other. Not much reason for multi-cam unless you're shooting stunts or an action film.

Ha, you're gonna piss off some 5D owners Kholi. It's worrying that you think the difference is so vast. I must run my own test.

Thanks Bruner for the video's, the video with the girl is helpful, it seems the Gh2 is alot sharper.

Yeah run your own and you'll know. I'm speaking from experience of course but Make sure you shoot wides and tights when you test.

It'll be pretty painfully obvious that the MKii isn't resolving anywhere near what the GH2 is. if you have to mix coverage it will definitely be a sad affair.

GH2 actually cuts with 4K... we no longer use the MKii for anything but stills.

Those comparisons don't really mean much. It's pretty obvious the Aperture was close to wide open on the 5D footage in the commercial example. Do the same shot at 5.6 and the DOF difference wouldn't have been so stark (Which what you're seeing, the difference in DOF)...

G_E - even stopped down, the hacked GH2 has better resolution than the 5D MkII (at least to my aging eyes):

http://vimeo.com/32391023

Straight out of the camera, it's even sharper than an unsharpened 5D MkIII:

http://www.eoshd.com/content/7722

The GH2 has difficulty matching full-frame (or Super 35) in low light conditions - but for the money, it punches pretty far above its weight in resolution.

Bill

The GH2 definitely looks nice.

I don't see why you need to use two cameras anyway - just stick to the GH2, and adapt any lenses that the DP might want to use?

G_E - even stopped down, the hacked GH2 has better resolution than the 5D MkII (at least to my aging eyes):

http://vimeo.com/32391023

Straight out of the camera, it's even sharper than an unsharpened 5D MkIII:

http://www.eoshd.com/content/7722

The GH2 has difficulty matching full-frame (or Super 35) in low light conditions - but for the money, it punches pretty far above its weight in resolution.

Bill

It's not just your eyes, charts can prove what's pretty obvious already. No amount of usin different glass or stopping down will change that.

I'm actually suprised my DP of all people has not suggested any such issues. In fact he suggested we go with the 5D because it's 'industry standard'. When I mentioned the hacked GH2 and how awesome it is he just stared blankly.

Then again if they cut 5D with film and Alexa on Act of Valor as Gonzo stated then that's something I guess.

I'd like to use three camera's if I had the money. Master and close-ups. I find it more authentic to capture a complete performance of a scene, also easily syncing with the one audio track per take and just generally saves time. sure it has it's drawbacks but it's a creative choice.

Last edited:
I'm actually suprised my DP of all people has not suggested any such issues. In fact he suggested we go with the 5D because it's 'industry standard'. When I mentioned the hacked GH2 and how awesome it is he just stared blankly.

Industry standard is Alexa. =P

Not a lot of people knew about the Gh2. Notice I wrote that past tense, though. I just hacked three Gh2s for a pretty huge studio picture. And by huge I don't mean someones experiment. Talking household names and directors.

I'll be doing more this month for others. After the Zacuto deal people became "interested" to say the least.

And technically I can cut hvx200 with Alexa. The point is what cuts better.

Industry standard is Alexa. =P

Not a lot of people knew about the Gh2. Notice I wrote that past tense, though. I just hacked three Gh2s for a pretty huge studio picture. And by huge I don't mean someones experiment. Talking household names and directors.

I'll be doing more this month for others. After the Zacuto deal people became "interested" to say the least.

And technically I can cut hvx200 with Alexa. The point is what cuts better.

Yes he meant the DSLR industry.

Just curious, why would a huge studio use three GH2's?

Excuse my ignorance also but what is the Zacuto deal?

Yes he meant the DSLR industry.

Just curious, why would a huge studio use three GH2's?

Excuse my ignorance also but what is the Zacuto deal?

In some cases crash cams, others as POV. In this instance they're being used as D cam
And complicated angles.

Theres a lot of value in small packages.

The Zacuto Deal I'm talkin about is just the Zacuto shootout this year. Where a lot of working Dps were present at the screening and during the creative leg (where te camera testers we're allowed to adjus lighting for each camera) most picked The GH2 before knowing that it was the Gh2.

Zacuto will reveal that one Greatest directors in history preferred the GH2 image. That's kind of a treat

However, me personally, I don't care that much. IMO people should just use the tool that they like. I happen to gravitate toward the ones that produce the best images, but not everyone does.

Man I love the Alexa..

I am only sad tha I can't use it more. =\

But most of what I want from Alexa is gonna be a part of the Magic Cam so.

Last edited:
Can't say that but very expensive ones. I typically shoot with expensive glass for important shots as well. For instance, yesterday and today I'm using Ultra Primes and DP Rouge 30-80

"industry standard" is sometimes code for "mediocrity with the highest brand awareness" (see MS-DOS Windows circa 1995 or Internet Explorer circa 2005 ;))

Did I just say that?

Last edited:
"industry standard" is sometimes code for "mediocrity with the highest brand awareness" (see MS-DOS Windows circa 1995 or Internet Explorer circa 2005 ;))

Did I just say that?

I love that :lol: and sadly it's very true that when he said it a similar thought passed through my head however he may of just been defending his cam.

Back