Why there are jerks?

Hello,

I just shot my very first couple of videos from Canon T3i / 18-55mm lens. When I saw on the computer I noticed that there are jerks in both videos. I shot hand-held. Is that due to hand-held shooting or you think there is some issue with my camera?

Regards,

Riz

Hello,

I just shot my very first couple of videos from Canon T3i / 18-55mm lens. When I saw on the computer I noticed that there are jerks in both videos. I shot hand-held. Is that due to hand-held shooting or you think there is some issue with my camera?

Regards,

Riz

Free hand is always going to be shaky that is why it is suggested to shoot on a tripod. Try putting your camera on one and shooting something. If there are still problems then it might be the camera.

Having operated expensive cameras in handheld mode, going for that feature-film handheld look, there's a lot more subtlety and finesse to it than just grabbing a DSLR in your hands.

Operating handheld and making it look good can be pretty damn difficult.

Is that lens image stabilized? It could actually be that - the IS on most DSLR lenses isn't designed for continuous movement like a dedicated video camera would be. It works great until it hits the limit of it's adjustment in one direction - then it snaps back to the center, causing a noticeable jerk in the image. It's a bit of a catch-22, because without the IS you'll get a lot of high-frequency shakiness which is amplified by the rolling shutter, but with it you can get these jerks.

riz - please post video so we can see what you mean - "jerk" due to frame rate or shutter speed? "jerk" due to shaky camera work? Hard to tell from a one word description :)

Bill

It's a combination of handheld shakiness, slight rolling shutter (because of the aforementioned shakes) and a high shutter speed.

Get some stabilization for the camera, run the shutter speed at about double your frame rate and it will be much smoother.

It's also way over exposed, and the highlights going in and out rolling off the leaves ins't helping, but isn't the issue you're talking about really.

It's a combination of handheld shakiness, slight rolling shutter (because of the aforementioned shakes) and a high shutter speed.

Get some stabilization for the camera, run the shutter speed at about double your frame rate and it will be much smoother.

It's also way over exposed, and the highlights going in and out rolling off the leaves ins't helping, but isn't the issue you're talking about really.

I agree with Paul. And riz - you also have to remember that, unlike a camcorder (or the GH2), autofocus does not work in video mode on the T3i. You have to switch to manual focus and continually adjust.

Cheers,

Bill

Thinking just of the inertia of the camera. I shot lots of stuff with a 16mm camera that sat on the shoulder and it's possible to be very smooth once you develop a feel for it, at least with wider lenses. It's harder once you get to about 25mm (guessing 50mm on a DSLR). A key issue is what the engineers would call the rotational inertia of the camera. How the masses are distributed decides this. A lightweight film caera that sits on your shoulder has quite a good mass distribution leading to a high rotational inertia. Meaning the masses resist any sudden change of angle. So for a DSLR if you can shift the mass to the front and back, for example shifting a battery well to the back, or just add mass, you could create a higher inertia, more steadiness.

there are jerks in both videos.

Show your actors more respect, laddie!
smiley_haw.gif

Seriously though...

It looks like your footage has hangups in a few spots.

1) Are you using a fast enough memory card? Minimum (for video) is Class 6, but Class 10 cards are much faster and not much more expensive.

2) Do you notice this hangup when watching the playback on camera? Or only in your NLE? If it's just on your NLE (which one, btw?), is it always in the same spot?

Back