View Full Version : Looking into ENG Camera

Shaw
05-27-2004, 01:10 PM
Greetings everyone,

I'm currently pondering the idea of buying a HD camera (well 800lines horizontal if we can call that HD). I found a couple different versions that I am interested in. For those of you who have worked with these cameras, is there anything I should know? Which is best?

The Cameras are:

Panasonic AG-DVC200
JVC GY-DV5000U
JVC GY-DV550U

and perhaps:

Sony DSR-250

most likely not but *very remote chance*:
Ikegami HL-DV7W

Any thoughts? Am I missing something obvious? Thanks!

directorik
05-27-2004, 05:06 PM
I bought the JVC (5000) in 1999. I've used it on 18 features since then, 5 or so shorts and some b-roll for local news broadcasts.

I really love that camera. I've used the 5000U and it's just as good - in some cases even better.

indietalk
05-28-2004, 01:10 AM
Panavision took the sony HDW-F900 ENG, and set it up as an HD monster! ... this puppy is Baaadddaaasss

http://www.imagica.com/panavision/index.html

"Digital Cinematography camera system

The basic HDW-F900 was designed to be an ENG style hand held camera intended to support light weight ENG style lenses.

Panavision has ruggedized the camera and developed a lens mount that will support our new series of Primo Digital™ lenses. The camera will also interface with all appropriate existing Panavision accessories."

Shaw
05-28-2004, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the input guys. It's really appreciated. Actually I am somewhat surprised how much lower quality the Panasonic is compared to the JVC! Not nearly as many features (I usually always buy Panasonic)!

Shaw
06-09-2004, 03:22 PM
Ok another quick question for those who have used either the JVC or the Panasonic:

Can the Panasonic record on DVCPRO 50 tapes? I know it will fit any full size tape but I am not sure if doubling the bitrate requires an in camera process or not. I would like to use DVCPRO 50 on my upcoming project and I need to be absolutely certain that the format can be recorded to with correct results.

As for the JVC, what is the equivalent format that JVC uses? Same question: can the JVC use similar tapes?