Where to get experience....

Ok forgive my severe newness to the industry but I am looking to get all the experience I can.

Being older with a family and no funds, film school proper is out of the question for me. I have been reading all the books and on-line material that my eyes can take and I bought a cheap vid camera to start learning some shooting and lighting. I also have a very nice 35mm still set up to work with too.

I am looking for suggestions as to where to go for some hands-on shooting and technical experience. Lighting, cameral work, assistant camera, all the entry level stuff. I am in Jacksonville florida and not sure where to go to get some of this intern type experience.

Any insight and suggestions would be very higly appreciated as I am ready to take on the next step in the hands-on aspect.

Thank you in advance....

J.J>

Here are a few ideas, that may help. :)

1) http://www.craigslist.org (then select a city close to you, on the right). It has a curious hodgepodge of daily listings, from professional to "calling all newbies". It can be very hit & miss, but it has some surprising jobs and offers.

2) Your local cable-company may offer free hands-on training. I did this in upstate NY several years back, and they may have something similar down in FL. It's mainly to provide training for people wanting to produce local cable-access tv shows, but it's done in a big group, so you can meet other people that share a common interest and who most likely would be needing some help.

3) Community College. It's not just for young kids these days, and most have courses that us "old fogeys" can take, that are just two nights a week for 6 weeks. (or similar) No degree or SAT required... just signing up for whatever courses you like.

Once again, not only are you learning a few new tricks... but you'll be meeting people with similar goals in mind.

4) Call up some existing cable-access shows and see if they need free help. (If they had a big budget, they wouldn't be on cable-access. ;) )

5) If networking with people is not your thing (or if it is just not happening), maybe start a few of your own ideas. Pull from personal experience and do a short documentary on your childrens' school? I bet that's the type of thing that would get seen on local cable, at minimum.

6) Prowl the messageboards. There are a *lot* of them. Some are better than others (this one is my favourite). This one also has a "Classifieds" section in it, for "Crew/Production Available". It's free to use... but clearly lableled and is where most people would look first for someone local.

So... meet people, meet people, meet people... if meeting people is not getting results, do something (for practise and a cause)... then go meet some more people. :D

I'll stop rambling now. :shock:

7) Contact your mayor's office (or whomever issues permits in your city) and they will provide a list of production companies that applied for permits for that week. Contact the companies and ask for PA work.

:)

Excellent suggestions. I will get rolling on the networking very soon. I'm looking forward to working on any project I can even if I'm just coming equipped with Duct Tape!

Very informational site. Thank ya much. Although it seems that Jacksonville is not the place to find much in the biz. hehe.

Back