DOING IT

It looks like I'll be able to raise at least $15,000 by fall for my project. I intend to film it in South Africa which will convert to around 100,000 rands (1 to 7). The shooting script is around 85 pages.

I've been adviced by the people in the know that it's better to use two cameras (panasonic AG 100). I can try to do a twelve day shoot (two weeks minus sundays). Is is better to rent cameras with this type of budget or should I go ahead and purchase one. I have one main character, four supporting leads, three day players a some extras. Two main locations, one street scene and a couple of int. locations.

I have about 60% ext. and 40% interior scenes. No action scenes. Very simple costumes.

If this was your project (I know it will be difficult since you don't know the story) but lets say you had this kind of budget to shoot overseas (SA), how would you do your budget? Just a rough one to help me see if I'm taking the right path.

I'm assuming you live in the US.

What is so enticing about shooting in South Africa, aside from the exchange rate? The outdoor scenes you have in mind must have something pretty special about them, that can't be duplicated elsewhere.

For a 15k budget....

1) $1800 round trip tickets, from LAX to Johannesburg... per person. Take off $1800 for each other cast/crew that's coming along. If going by self, you'll be spending the same money well in advance of travel, with agencies to have a cast/crew lined up for you for when you arrive. (Well, maybe less, but it's still a nice chunk)

2) The Panny ag100 is a 3k camera. Two of them (with extra batteries, travel cases, insurance, etc)... call it 7k. That's almost half the budget! Much better to rent, in this case... however, South Africa is on the PAL-I system (and dvd region 2, btw)... so you'll need conversion to NTSC later. How much does that particular conversion affect quality of image? No idea, but it's something to consider.

3) Two weeks accomodation. Two weeks vehicle rental (and petrol). Possibly multiple vehicle rentals, unless your cast/crew is going to be walking everywhere. (Unless all-local cast & crew... with cars) Might need an IDL, as well. Two weeks of chow for cast & crew. Two weeks of 14% VAT. Cost of permits, insurance to get mentioned permits. Likely not doing this on a tourist visa, either. Documentation to get correct visa.

4) How much is the exchange rate *really* going to save you? As an example, take Holiday Inn. Assuming you don't get rack-rate, you can get a rather nice room here in the US for $100ish. Here is a link for rates for dozens of Holiday Inns in SA... in Rands.

Obviously, on such a tight budget, the Holiday Inn might be too flashy anyway... but I hope you get the point.

Unless there was something absolutely astonishingly unique about why it had to be shot in SA, I'd be looking to see how to make the most of that dollar back home, wherever that may be. The travel alone will eat a large chunk of the budget.

I know, I'm a party-pooper. :(

(You'd need 220V convertors for all electric devices from the US, as well.)

Thanks Zen.

I thought it would be better to shoot in SA since my film deals with the local culture. I probably have to start entertaining the idea of doing the project locally. I'll have to try to find locations that look like SA neighborhoods. BTW what is PAL - I system and IDL?

thanks much

Back