Canon t2i zoom problems

I am having trouble zooming in on my T2I. When shooting a video it does not let me zoom in. When I'm not shooting a video, if I hit the zoom it will zoom in, but then once I start filming it reverts back to normal focus. how do you zoom here?

I'm not sure what you mean. The zoom is a function of the lens itself, not the camera firmware.

If you mean the zoom button, that zooms the picture for focus reference, you can't use that in the middle of recording on a T2i. You can, however, stop recording to double check focus and continue recording.

cbax, do you mean you're having trouble with autofocus in video mode? If that's what you're saying, you should know that autofocus is disabled in video mode on all Canon DSLR cameras. This was a surprise to me too when I bought a so-called "video-capable" Canon camera and is one of the major reasons why I traded my old Canon T2i for a Panasonic GH2, which has fast, silent autofocus in video mode.

Cheers,

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
You're talking about the magnification for the viewfinder. The button you hit to jump 5x or 10x to check focus.

There's nothing wrong, it just doesn't work while you record. It's not an actual zoom, just showing pixel for pixel solely for the purpose of checking focus. Similar when taking a picture, you'll look through it magnified but the picture will come out 1X.

Back