For those looking for lenses on a budget.

Just thought I would share that yesterday I went out to a local Salvation Army. I was looking around for some random things, when I got to the counter (where they keep the more expensive small goodies *i.e. CAMERAS!) I decided to take a look at what they had.

Here's what I ended up walking out with:
-Vivitar 220/sl 35mm camera
-Vivitar 2800 flash (with colored covers for colored flash)
-Vivitar 50mm f/1.8 lens
-Vivitar 200mm f/3.5 lens
-Vivitar 2x1 auto tele converter
-2 bottles of lens cleaner
-49mm polarizer (fits the 50mm lens)
-A friggin' sweet leather messenger style camera bag

Now you'll see that there are two prime lenses (50mm & 200mm) there that are alright for a cheap start. (4 with the tele converter! +100mm +400mm). They were both M42 screw mount, which I already have adapters to attach to my Canon 7D. Plus a bunch of other stuff I can sell online (to buy more lenses ;) )

Now to the CHEAP part:
I paid $25.00 for all that! :yes:
It was usually $50.00 but it had a blue tag on it, and there was a 50% off sale on blue tags that day.

Point of this story:
Go to local thrift shops
KEEP YOUR EYES PEELED!
ask if they have any old camera gear
look for M42 screw mount lenses! (cheap adapter, I got mine for $7 each) *look up M42 mount if you don't know what it is*

I hope this helps or provides hope for someone! :D

I have had zero luck at thrift stores and pawn shops are usually overpriced, BUT doesn't mean you shouldn't try. I don't have a ton of time to cruise them which is usually required.

70's era Vivitars are pretty good. I have a 105mm 2.8 that I'm using as my medium telephoto until I cough up the $400 for a Takumar 85mm 1.9

Yeah, I did spend about a half hour in there. It would've went faster if I asked where their photo gear was (if they had any). But if you're looking for a cheap lens fix it's definitely worth the time to peruse around some stores :P

I put them on my camera last night and they look pretty good! I really liked the look of the 200mm! :yes:

Back