"We can't pay money, but...."

I'm sure we've all seen various "services wanted" ads on many messageboards that start off with that infamous header. Most often it ends up being "copy and credit" for talent/services rendered...

...however, sometimes the money-less people have something unusual to offer in return. For example, I spied one advert yesterday that was "paying" in donuts. :shock:

That got me trying to recall the oddest form of "payment" that I had ever received, for something I had done. I came up with...

5 cases of Steinlager beer.

No, the person that dropped that off didn't work for a beverage distributor, either... so it wasn't a straight exchange of goods/services from one business to another.

Anyone else receive equally odd compensation? :P

Great topic, Zen.

I'd like to extend the question to include, "If you can't get cash, what would you really LIKE to get as compensation?"

Please, keep your answers clean, okay?

The reason I ask is because our non-profit studio is in pre-production (nearly in production) of our first short film. I know I won't be able to pay people (other than copy & credit), but I'll solicit merchandise from local businesses to hand out.

Thanks

Most unusual non cash payment to me - a lobster

Most unusual payment I've made to someone else - a $600 acoustic guitar

Non cash payment I'd most like - An introduction to Brad Pitt's agent

I'd have to say a one-on-one art tutor who'd be willing to do so out of pure heart b/c I've always drawn and crafted things as a hobby of mine since I was little, but never taken any art classes and now I wished I had to get the basic techniques down, but I can't afford to pay for art classes or a tutor. Okay, on the more realistic side, I'd have to say art supplies would be a generous offer to me or if I had to travel out to the production than an offered floor I could sleep on so that I wouldn't have to scrounge all my chump change to stay in a roach infested motel would be kind. Hahaha!

Most unusual non cash payment to me - vouchers for Office Depot
Most unusual payment I've made to someone - filmed a live band concert
Non cash payment I'd most like - shares in a vineyard ;)

Back