No light meter pointer on super 8 camera!?

Hi guys, I just bought a Braun Nizo 481 macro and I have tested it all with batteries and it seems operational. The one problem is that I cannot see the pointer on the light meter.

I have tried switching the manual control around to see if it appears but there doesn't seem to be any pointer there at all?

I have read that the pointer is part of the iris blades so if it isn't there/working then nor is the aperture?

Basically I am wondering if I should send the camera back - is there any way of knowing whether images are going to be over/under exposed without the light meter pointer?

I don't really have much of a clue with super 8 cameras as this is my first so sorry if this question is rather idiotic.

Thanks guys :)

Only looked for a moment, but you can probably find a manual online if you don't have one.

I'd recommend shooting a test roll or two, taking copious notes and preferably with a separate light meter. There's a good chance that the in-camera metering may be off, even in good working condition, so it is worth testing with known light values to get a gauge for what you are working with.

Best of luck.

You can find your manual at the first site and the battery you need for your meter at the second. If you have this battery installed, have good points in the battery compartment(no erosion), have tried to expose both manually and automatically, and the needle still doesn't move, then it may be dead.

In that case you could do a controlled test like David said. Use an external meter. Then, with the known values of the light and film speed, you could make your own marks on the manual dial. You would have to keep copious notes on all settings and reading that way you can cross reference the f-stop values when they are correct. I think that's right?? :) It could get kinda expensive.

You should be able to look through the lens to see if the aperture is getting smaller or bigger. If it isn't, don't bother with the film test cause nothing is working. Hope that helps.

http://super8exchange.com/camera_instructions.php

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...vpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&ref=pd_sl_2mkublywt2_b

Back