• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

What is the name of this sound effect?

Dude... it took you two years of searching and you still had to accidentally stumble across it to find the sound you were looking for? :hmm:
I was searching on google "suspense build up sound effect" and "action movie trailer high pitch sound effect" :P. Well anyways, thanks to the 2 posts above for the answer :)
EDIT: Actually, suspense chord wasn't really what I was thinking off, I'm thinking of a more longer sound effect like the one in the beginning of that video. Here is another example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ5U8suTUw0 Listen carefully at 1:30 - 1:35. I want to know that sound effect name :)

Last edited:
If you watch the BTS for some of The Dark Knight (a fave of yours apparently), Hans Zimmer & Nolan talk about using that rising tension as part of the Joker's sound design. Good stuff.

Not sure how it's referred to in the sound effects world, but that's a tone cluster, compositionally speaking. Maybe if you look up "orchestral tone cluster" you might find what you're looking for. Essentially, you have a bunch of instruments playing close intervals (rather than a chord), so it sounds dissonant and ambiguous.

Of course, I'm guessing we're talking about the same thing, since the second video you posted was the same as the first!

Not sure how it's referred to in the sound effects world, but that's a tone cluster, compositionally speaking. Maybe if you look up "orchestral tone cluster" you might find what you're looking for. Essentially, you have a bunch of instruments playing close intervals (rather than a chord), so it sounds dissonant and ambiguous.

Of course, I'm guessing we're talking about the same thing, since the second video you posted was the same as the first!

Changed the link to the video I intended xD

Okay, lets start with some clarification on terminology.

Although it opens up what is essentially an ad for Sound Effects, it is not itself a sound effect. It is a musical build of the string suspension variety. So when you were looking for it among "Sound Effects" it wasn't there because it's a musical element.

Back