Movie Making Misconceptions

Top Areas where Movie Making Misconceptions occur?

• Pre-Production - Budgeting / Scripting / Scouting / Planning / Scheduling etc...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Production - Directing / Shooting it / etc...

• Post Production - Cutting / Distribution / etc...

• Total voters
Ok, think back to those lazy student days... you'd just got back from your first lecture at film school and you decide to go on a roll and make your own movie... So! You get out there, you make choices... Oooh yea, and then you realised it wasn't all fun and games... mwa ha ha haaaaaa, and then you realise the choices you made weren't as wise and cocky as you first thought etc etc... you get the picture...

So, what do you think, out of all your broad experience, and in order to help those on the talk without such experience is the biggest and most common misconception that new film makers have about film production? I was going to add a poll to this but I just think the whole thread is a little too broad...

I remember I learnt the hard way once... I used on a shoot what I thought at the time was a clever statement in response to a concerned D.O.P.: 'Don't worry, it's fine... I'll fix it in Post'... Oh how I learnt :( how I learnt. :blush:

I find that a lot of newbies are confused as to what the Producer's role is.

I went with Post-production, as that was where the distribution was listed as an example.

With all the other hard work out of the way, it's easy as pie to have your finished film seen and picked up... right? :shock:

i went with pre, because as i was getting into the movie making thing, i totally never realized how much pre production went into this..so thats my vote

Preproduction SUCKS!!!!I'm in prepro right now and I honestly had no idea how much it involved. My situation is even worse because I'm dealing with overseas (filming in Africa in the fall).

indietalk said:
I find that a lot of newbies are confused as to what the Producer's role is.

I thnik that's because there is no true definition of what it is. So many people'll tell ya so many different answers, especially professors.

Poke

I went with pre-pro b/c that's where all the miscommunications happen the most. It's also the most hectic trying to get everything organized and meeting all the deadlines and stuff like that. I'll just say that there is one particular indie production I was a part of that was such a horror that I had to quit on them (and I never have had that mentality before, but this was the exception.)!

Back