• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Film Soundtrack

I have made a soundtrack for my upcoming indie film. The songs are all from youtube. Like epic type music. Do i need to have them copywritten? Or do i need to have them validated because its not my music?

You are in violation of copyrights. You can potentially be sued by the people who wrote and produced the music.

You need to apply for a synchronization license for each piece of music.

I have made a soundtrack for my upcoming indie film. The songs are all from youtube. Like epic type music. Do i need to have them copywritten? Or do i need to have them validated because its not my music?

You can't own the copyright to the songs, unless you are the composer or unless you buy the copyright from the composer. There are two copyrights per piece of music, the copyright for the composition and the copyright for the recording. You will need permission from both copyright holders for each piece of music you've used. Depending on the pieces of music, the copyright holders might charge you for a licence to use the music. If you don't have permission in writing from the copyright holders (a valid licence) you are breaking international copyright law.

G

You must contact the license holders and ask for permission. The odds are that you will have to pay - anywhere from a token fee to your first born plus six figures. It will vary greatly depending upon the material.

Thank you for bringing this up. Some people honestly don't know... Some people choose to ignore the fact that composers and songwriters do what they do for a living.

I'm not saying this in a harsh way at all, but using music which you have not paid for \ licensed would be like walking out of a restaurant without paying for your meal... or simply walking out of a grocery store without checking out. Legally, ethically, morally, it's theft.

Great music can be done on a budget. Go through the proper channels, get an original work tailored to your film, and everyone wins.

If nothing else convinces you, what goes around comes around. Take care of your musicians, and they'll take care of you.

Back