Canon EOS rebel t2i

I am looking for opinions on the Canon EOS Rebel T2i as a beginners camera - for 500$ is it a good purchase for someone starting out.
Thanks a million for any help!!!

The T2I is great, and with any DSLR you really can't go too wrong there.

What you really want to focus on are your lenses and composition. That's what's going to make this DSLR either just another camera, or your new best friend.

I highly recommend you get some older Lenses if you're on a tight budget and buy an adapter so you can get some really great primes. Mostly stay away from Zoom lenses as they don't have as clear of a picture as a prime lens gives you.

A 50mm f/1.8 is a good place to start at.

As for the Rode NTG-2 - it's an awesome microphone, but getting a Zoom H4N or other external audio capturing device is also a must. The audio the T2I records, even with a shotgun mic attached, is horrible, and it'll make your films suffer. But if you're on an absolutely tight budget and can't get an external, than hacking your T2I with Magic Lantern is an absolute must so you can turn off the AGC on the camera.

Most helpful answer thus far, thank you!
I just read a review confirming your thoughts on audio - an external zoom IS a must!
Only setback is quality sound would cost an upwards of 300 bucks :(did
you mentioned Magic Lantern?

500 dollars - the store was out and I really wanted this camera so I purchased the working display model.
I can't wait to upgrade my lense when I get my next paycheck!

I'm trying to save for a t2i for a year now... still don't have enough to buy it. I've been working for 11 years and can't buy a simple camera... it's depressing.

Back