Making films of... people at films.

An odd story in the New York Times, about an artist named Jon Routson.

His art-films (which are viewed in galleries, as opposed to theaters) consist of documenting/filming the "ambience" of the interior of movie houses. He has garnered a bit of unwanted attention, however, as his films contain a lot of the actual film being played.

Anyways... putting aside the question of whether or not it actually constitutes "piracy" of the movie, I just found this aspect of film-making to be rather unusual. Had me thinking of some of the elements of Andy Warhol's more unusual films.

Here is the link... WHEEEEEE

...and here is a quote from the article....

Shot without consulting the view-finder, these diaristic works are replete with the mysterious rustlings, irritating interruptions, darkness and partial views endemic in movie theaters. The shadowy images wobble, especially when Mr. Routson shifts in his seat. You hear breathing and throat-clearing.

Isn't the artworld.... odd? 8)

hmm..a lot of people just do something then claim it is art...but i guess anything can be art, whether or not its good art is up to you, oh well

Ah the subliminally pretentious world of the modern artist. What happened to the true masterpieces eh? Where's the real skill and devotion to work eh? Raaa raaaa raaaa...

But seriously. Just walking around the Tate Modern in London gives me the 'extra extra angry eyes'.

Sounds like mystery science theater 2000! :lol: Actually, it sounds like badly pirated movies .. you know, the ones where they film they off the screen with a camcorder, and you hear laughing and people eating popcorn, lol.

Does it even mention what he's trying to express by this 'art'? Cause if not, then I think he just wants attention. Sounds dumb if you ask me.

Aww c'mon!!!! ;)
So anyway... I've got something to throw into this thread. Anyone seen any eye catching video installation work recently? I would like to do something with silk, mirrors, mirrorballs and super 8 projectors!

The Whitney Biennial has a fun-sounding set of films, on top of other medium. Here are some of the "light" highlights, ongoing with KAS.

Doubling Back, 2003
Installation with film projector and hazer, 16mm film, black-and-white, silent, 30 min.

In Anthony McCall's installation, two bisecting planes of light move toward then away from each other, stretching from floor to ceiling. Standing inside them, the viewer experiences a kind of warping of space, as one line moves into and out of the other, as each plane of light ebbs and flows.

Aurora Borealis, 2003
16mm film, anamorphic lens, colour, sound, 11 min

Spidery, 2003
Super-8 film and slide performance, variable speed, coloured gels, external glass and water lens, hand flicker, black-and-white, sound, 7 min.

Bradley investigates the interplay between the properties of liquids and projected light by manipulating the image through various lenses, filters and gels to generate sensual otherworlds.

It all ends at the end of May. Still trying to get a flight out there in time for it, but it's looking grim :(

The Whitney has some great shows. I was lucky enough to catch an Andy Warhol exhibit a few years back. Any Warhol or Morrissey fans out there?

Back