shooting script

I finished working on my screenplay months ago and I'm now in the process of looking for financing for my project. I haven't started writing the shooting script as yet. Is the shooting script very different from the screenplay? Is it just the camera directions that are added to the screenplay or there's more?

I've got a question about the storyboard... does it have to be on a computer? I've never heared of it actually being done digitaly, I always thought it was done out on paper. Is it less professional if it's done like that?
-Tine
(Sorry about the off-topicness)

You can buy a cheap (but versatile) tablet for $30 or so. Wacom has a few in that price range.

The pen can be as "sharp" as you like, down to a single pixel... or that same pen-point can paint a broad brushstroke in a single pass.

You can load a basic storyboard template into Photoshop and go to town with it... if you are comfortable using tablets.

Getting off topic, though, about shooting-scripts :shock:

There is a great Storyboard program out called Frameforge 3D Studio. Pretty easy to use, although it cost about $250. Well worth it for those of us who can't draw beyond a stick man.

When you get to shooting your project, ask your DP if he needs a shooting script, or if he can work off of your direction, and the script. You may not need the shooting script. Some people swear by shooting scripts and story boards, some don't.

Most of the time, in features with full staff, the 1st AD takes the spec script and notates scene numbers, camera direction from the Director’s notes, transitions, special effects, and notes. At that point the script is locked and any new scenes are inserted with special scene numbers and colored additional pages. A shooting script isn’t needed until pre-prod. There are other advantages to using the shooting script format than just camera direction. By locking the scene numbers and using additional pages for added pages, it creates a continuity throughout the production process. You’re editor will like you a lot more when the scene numbers match the script and the slate, and it will end up saving you a lot of time in the end. Finally it helps a lot in pre-prod when you’re trying to decide shooting order. I take each scene and transfer it onto note cards with the scene number, special effects, cast numbers, etc on each one. I can then shuffle and arrange at will on a table and the scene numbers help to easily and quickly identify each one.

I agree with film8ker. A shooting script is a vital tool in the production process.

My personal preference as a director, is to use three different documents to understand the shoot. A shooting script, which tells me which shots I've planned for each scene and allows me to mark them off once they are in the can. This very usefulk, because the shots are placed next to the dialogue and action on the page, therefore I can quickly reference the coverage on the scene.

The other tools I use is a floor plan, on which I block out the movement of the actors and then mark in my camera positions. This is incredibly useful, because it shows the all the angles and gives me a clear indiction of whether I've got sufficent coverage. It's also a good way of being completely sure that I haven't crossed the line. Also, because I always carry spare plan sheets for each location, if I'm running behind schedule or I hit a technical problem (such as a last minute change of location) that I can't fix, I can rework my shooting plan in a matter of seconds.

The final tool is the storyboard and primarily I use that as a way of communicating clearly with the DOP what I'm looking for on each set up. It's much faster and clearer to show the DOP with a storyboard what you want, than explaining.

I know that it's possible to do the job using just one of these tools, but having all three in one file means I've got a complete understanding of the shoot and flexibility to deal with the unexpected.

Oh, one of the things I've started doing on location scouting trips, is taking digital stills from my camera positions, framed roughly how I think I'll shoot. I then transfer the stills onto my storyboard sheet at a low resolution and semi tranparent (about 68%). Then I print them off and draw in the characters over the location photos. Because of my professional still photography background, I've found this a great way to produce storyboards.

That’s a great idea on the storyboard! I’m going to try that on my next shoot. I’ve tried doing the floor plans, I found it was hard to not end up with scribble using paper and pencil. I’m usually pretty good with placing things in my head, but if I’m concerned about the scene I’ll sketch it out in Illustrator. I’ve set up templates for the common elements like camera with fov lines, actors, etc, and it’s a simple matter to drag-and-drop them into place. When I print them out it looks very professional. It’s too bad you’re in the UK because you seem to have a good head on your shoulders and always give good advice. It’d be good to work with you on a project. Oh well. Good filming!

Right. Scene numbers are a must. If you don't plan on doing a shooting script (with camera movements, etc..) you must mark your script with scene numbers.

Back