View Full Version : What would u like to see adapted as a movie?

danielle
05-04-2004, 01:27 PM
Just for fun. What book, old tv show, comic book, etc. would you like to see adapted as a movie?

Personally, I'd love to see a real life JEM & THE HOLOGRAMS adaption :)

I would love to write that and have it done with kick ass CGI for Synergy & Jerrica to Jem's transformation...

ok i'm lame. anyways, what about you all?

NicklausLouis
05-04-2004, 01:44 PM
A friend of mine wrote a book called PARIAH, you can check it out here (www.laymanbooks.com). It was actually released independently one segment at a time (3 segments). It's a really good read, and I'd love to see it done right on film. He's had some offers, but none that got him jazzed about turning over the rights. I would really like to someday produce the trilogy as a low budget project, but I'm not at a place in my life right now to do that.

Poke

Zensteve
05-04-2004, 01:56 PM
"Bill, the Galactic Hero" by Harry Harrison. :shock:

clive
05-04-2004, 02:33 PM
Robert Redford once bought the option on "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenence" by Robert Persig. I guess it's a lifelong ambition to be commissioned to write the screenplay for that.

I would also have liked to have adapted "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas." I really beleive that film could only sucessfully be made as animation.

scrappydy
05-04-2004, 05:30 PM
My favorite childhood story were the Chronicles of Narnia and I just finished re-reading all 7 of them while in school. I would love to see it adapted onto the Big Screen. (Of course, I would love to be a part of the Art Department crew that gets to work on it!)

Zensteve
05-04-2004, 05:34 PM
You mean like this (http://www.narnia.com/movie/news/movienews_030104.htm)? :shock:

scrappydy
05-04-2004, 05:50 PM
oh yeah, I didn't know about that! But, I was hoping maybe they could break the entire story down kind of like how they're doing Harry Potter b/c The Lion The Witch & The Wardrobe may have been the first book written, but there's so much more to the story then that. Like some of the latter books, especially the last have an interesting twist and explanation for why these magical events happen.

Zensteve
05-04-2004, 06:03 PM
Then buy this (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000069CFH/qid=1083711633/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-7797981-2948832?v=glance&s=dvd) for Mother's Day 8)

scrappydy
05-04-2004, 06:18 PM
Oh yeah, I have that set, but it's the old British adaptation...I'd like to see a newer version with Peter Jackson's potential.

NicklausLouis
05-04-2004, 06:22 PM
Disney is hoping that The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe will be suceessful enough to make the CofN a franchise like Harry Potter.

I'm a little dissapointed that this is being made by Disney for two reasons: 1) I always felt like I was born to adapt the chronicles (I'm sure I'm not the only one), and 2) they're gonna Disneyize it probably. At least Shrek director (and a New Zealand native, like PJ) Andrew Adamson will be helming it, hopefully he'll be true to the book.

Poke

scrappydy
05-04-2004, 06:26 PM
Disney is hoping that The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe will be suceessful enough to make the CofN a franchise like Harry Potter.

I'm a little dissapointed that this is being made by Disney for two reasons: 1) I always felt like I was born to adapt the chronicles (I'm sure I'm not the only one), and 2) they're gonna Disneyize it probably. At least Shrek director (and a New Zealand native, like PJ) Andrew Adamson will be helming it, hopefully he'll be true to the book.

Poke

This is so true! I've always wanted to be part of the production for this story if it was ever made, but now it seems I just found out a little too late. I too, hope that they will stay true to the book and make it as realistic as possible and not so childish. Geez, there's just not enough luck to be given to me in this life! Haha!

Zensteve
05-04-2004, 06:37 PM
Well, at least a Kiwi is involved. It's common knowledge that they have a knack for great directing, are extremely intelligent and almost all are tremendously handsome, too!

(Flashes a passport) :P

danielle
05-05-2004, 07:38 AM
whoa I had no idea that Disney was going to do that!

There was a Lion, Witch, Wardrobe movie made a long time ago.

I agree, I hope it doesn't come out lame. It would really be cool to breathe new life into that story. Hopefully it works out well! :D

Jonathan
02-02-2005, 01:04 AM
"Bill, the Galactic Hero" by Harry Harrison. :shock:

What a great idea, and loads of potential sequels!

Zensteve
02-02-2005, 01:52 AM
What a great idea, and loads of potential sequels!

Yes.. though sadly the "Bill" sequels weren't too good.

If aiming for a Harry Harrison ongoing series to adapt, the "Stainless Steel Rat" would be a better choice.

:cool:

Jonathan
02-02-2005, 01:54 AM
Yes.. though sadly the "Bill" sequels weren't too good.

If aiming for a Harry Harrison ongoing series to adapt, the "Stainless Steel Rat" would be a better choice.

:cool:

Already thought of that.... awesome series... I don't know why no-one's attempted it.

Nique Zoolio
02-02-2005, 02:11 AM
Things I would love to see adapted for film:
Primo Levi's If This is a Man - dull in places, but make a tremendous short - what power over words he has.
Eggar's Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius - the great (post)modern novel
Foer's Everything is Illuminated - the other one
and Nation's Rebecca's World - make a great feature, an exciting plot and intellectually stimulating - one for the kids and adults.

Walter_Smidge
02-02-2005, 07:03 AM
i would like to see some computer games take the film scene....i'm talking Doom 3, Pandora Directive and even Half Life... i know this is the nerd in me coming out, but they had some good storys behind them that could also be very visually stunning...

The other thing that i would like to see happen is a movie version of the British seiries Red Dwarf... i heard they were thinking about this concept, but it never left the ground.... oh well at least i have the hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy to look forward too......

SPaulovich
02-02-2005, 07:35 AM
I've always thought that Ayn Rand's classic, Atlas Shrugged, would make a great epic.

Seeing what was done to The Fountainhead (I think it was the 40's) made me think twice, though.

Nique Zoolio
02-02-2005, 11:26 AM
i would like to see happen is a movie version of the British seiries Red Dwarf... i heard they were thinking about this concept, but it never left the ground....

Walt, apparently its in pre-production using the same old actors. i used to love that show when i was a kid - but it went drastically downhill towards the end, but check it out on imdb.........promising....... :yes:

Zensteve
02-02-2005, 12:11 PM
i would like to see some computer games take the film scene....i'm talking Doom 3, Pandora Directive and even Half Life...

After what Uwe Boll has done to game adaptations already? :eek:

I think the his fan appreciation website pretty much sums it up.

http://www.UweBoll.com

Mikey D
02-02-2005, 03:29 PM
Orsen Scott Card's "Enders Game" Great science fiction paced perfectly for a film.

Also a Richard Bachman Novella "Rage" I know that Stephen King has been done, poorly more often than not, but I have always thought that this particular story would adapt well. It may not be recieved well since its about a student that kills his teacher and holds the class hostage. It would also make for a great low budget film (minus buying the rights, of course) since it takes place mostly in a classroom.

Will Vincent
02-02-2005, 04:27 PM
Hell even an hour long episode of the Simpsons would be great.. but I would love to see a feature. Southpark and Beavis & Butthead had their theatrical time... Simpsons is long overdue.

Nique Zoolio
02-02-2005, 05:11 PM
Hell even an hour long episode of the Simpsons would be great.. but I would love to see a feature. Southpark and Beavis & Butthead had their theatrical time... Simpsons is long overdue.

the best thing about the Simpsons I felt was its economical story telling - all the 'fat' (exposition, uneeded scenes in terms of the plot) were trimmed off. i just wonder if they can now string something out for 90mins, when they are so used to making it25mins, and so well - but they write it so well, it must be gold.
another book i would love to see made into film - Herland - very interesting work.

Walter_Smidge
02-02-2005, 05:26 PM
i do know something i would NOT like to see.... and thats another Pokemon movie.... ughhhh....

but something that would be good would be a film based on Artimus Fowl books.... it would fit into the harry potter style film and would be pretty cool....

Will Vincent
02-02-2005, 09:51 PM
What about 'Catcher in the Rye' ?

NicklausLouis
02-02-2005, 11:38 PM
Before it's all said and done Homer, Marge, Bart, Lisa and Maggie will be seen on the big screen, and it will be spectacular.

All the adaptations I would like to see are ones that I would like to adapt, so I will keep my outh shut on those.

Now, I wouldn't mind adaptations of anything by Chuck Palahniuk (especially Diary), and I am looking forward to the adaptation of The Lovely Bones.

Poke

Nique Zoolio
02-03-2005, 10:26 AM
Chuck Palahniuk (especially Diary), Poke

is that the one in the first person of a reforming anorexic? or did she lose a husband (hers obviously?)
i like him, hes like a contemporary pre-clockwork orange burgess.

NicklausLouis
02-03-2005, 02:22 PM
or did she lose a husband (hers obviously)?

That's the one. She is writing the titular "Diary" to her comatose husband.

Poke

bad haircut
02-10-2005, 11:43 PM
Robert Redford once bought the option on "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenence" by Robert Persig
does that have anything to do with "Zen and the art of landscaping"? because i saw the short film of that and i really enjoyed it.

as for me i would love to see more edgar allan poe stories being adapted, but still keeping true to the original story.
i would love to see animations of some of my favourites comics like "Squee" & "Johnny the Homicidal Maniac" by Jhonen Vasquez, and "Lenore" by Roman Dirge. But it would only work if it was animations.
and i would love to see "The Raging Quiet" by Sherryl Jordan become a movie, it is such a beautiful story and deserves only the best if it was to be adapted

Will Vincent
02-11-2005, 09:48 AM
Other than the similar title, I'd have to say no... there are a lot of "Zen and the art of..." books, most look like they're by different authors, and I don't think they even share a common publisher.

indierochester
02-11-2005, 02:29 PM
Just for fun, I've been adapting the first series of "Robotech" into a screenplay.
It's my dream to write and direct a big screen adaptation of it. I think it would just translate so well onto film!

~ Stephen

Zensteve
02-11-2005, 08:32 PM
Just for fun, I've been adapting the first series of "Robotech"

Robotech would be great indeed.

There's a lot of history in the Battlemech universe too... long overdue for a real adaptation.

(This reminded me that Appleseed (http://www.apple.com/trailers/independent/appleseed.html) was something I needed to go get. :cool: )

Dimp Paddy
02-11-2005, 09:46 PM
Neon Genisis: Evangelion would be excellent if it wasn't americanised, last I heard there was a film in the works with Daniel Ratcliffe as Shinji, I almost cried when I heard that, in all the history of bad casting, that is at the top. You can't cast a british kid in the role of japanese kid, it just doesn't work that way.

Mikey D
02-12-2005, 12:10 AM
as for me i would love to see more edgar allan poe stories being adapted, but still keeping true to the original story.

yes-yes-yes. Now when you say true to the original do you mean as a period piece? I think if done right could be modern day and still stay true. Talk about a yummy ultra-low budget short.

if were doing short stories, how about some O Henry.

Zensteve
02-12-2005, 02:46 AM
yes-yes-yes. Now when you say true to the original do you mean as a period piece? I think if done right could be modern day and still stay true. Talk about a yummy ultra-low budget short.

Actually, there are a lot of Poe adaptations out there.

"The Tell-tale Heart" is one of the most common ones.

Edgar Allen Poe, Robert Louis Stevenson and Rudyard Kipling all have classic short tales to tell, that are easily adaptable and always popular regardless of the time period it is placed in.

The ones that tend to be adapted also tend to be the ones that everyone else has done as, as well. That is good... in that everyone will recognise the story for what it is, and you have a base... and it's bad, because, well, everyone has done it and you are not creating anything (relatively) new.

Part of the appeal for doing more interpretations of these authors may have to do with expiration of the copyrights, as well. :cool:

_______

I'd like to see a lot more adaptations of older works... I'd like it even more if filmmakers were willing to bring to life the other stories (by the same authors) that get passed over so quickly.

:D

Mr.Blonde
02-12-2005, 07:26 AM
Neon Genisis: Evangelion would be excellent if it wasn't americanised, last I heard there was a film in the works with Daniel Ratcliffe as Shinji, I almost cried when I heard that, in all the history of bad casting, that is at the top. You can't cast a british kid in the role of japanese kid, it just doesn't work that way.

But you could cast me as Asuka. haha.

NicklausLouis
02-12-2005, 01:50 PM
I would like to see a really good adaptation of A Seperate Peace. I know a TV version was made last year, but from what I've heard it doesn't even live up to the original big screen adaptation which in my opinion falls way short of the book.

Poke

Nique Zoolio
02-13-2005, 09:06 AM
i have finished reading Angela Carter's 'The Passion of New Eve'.
it deserves to be made and made again and a-bloody-gain.
sad thing - many books work upon the basis of a partnership between writer + reader. with each reader coming to the book with so many different experiences in life, the images that each partnership draws from the book will be different. i think thats why so many films of books have been let downs, because in film there is less space to interpret (visually) - and many people see them and go 'oh, well thats not how i saw it'.

bird
02-14-2005, 08:36 AM
i have finished reading Angela Carter's 'The Passion of New Eve', it deserves to be made and made again and a-bloody-gain.

Your post reminded me of another Carter book, ' Nights at the Circus', I think that'd be interesting to see.

Nique Zoolio
02-14-2005, 08:45 AM
not read that one. i will add it to 'the list' (sounds all very mysterious, but i can assure is not so).
anything by her, i can only speak for myself (obviously) but i found her book so challenging.
in the way that it challenged me in ways + arenas i didn't even know i could be contested with.
left me vulnerable. a real eye-opener.
on a seperate note - i always wanted there to be a reworking of Nietzsche's Zarathustra stories. I feel he would be the perfect superhero/anti-hero. thats become something of a mission of mine, to write that one, so watch it.... ;)

SuperSoupy
02-16-2005, 12:44 PM
I'd like to see Roald Dahl's 'BFG' handled by someone like Tim Burton, giving it a nice darker tone.

And we desperately, desperately need a good trilogy of Frank Herbert's 'Dune' novels. It so deserves it's place among great cinema. Dave Lynch's one was so-so. And I heard there was a mini series on sci fi channel, but I've yet to fully watch that.

And while comic book adaptations are rife at the monent, there should be movies of comic bad guys! Since they're easily just as interesting as the heroes.

Mikey D
02-16-2005, 02:44 PM
And we desperately, desperately need a good trilogy of Frank Herbert's 'Dune' novels. It so deserves it's place among great cinema. Dave Lynch's one was so-so. And I heard there was a mini series on sci fi channel, but I've yet to fully watch that.

IMO Lynch's was better. The miniseries was closer to the actual story but it lacked any emotion. I like Will Hurt but his Duke Atredies was monotone. The whole experience was kinda monotone. I would have to rewatch to come up with other examples.

SuperSoupy
02-17-2005, 05:07 AM
yeah good point. Thats the problem with a miniseries or something made for t.v (usually with american programmes), they all seem rushed in a way. its almost like the tv execs are saying 'this is my airtime, i want it filled up with lots of stuff!!'. And I think that's a sydrome that the 'Dune' miniseries suffered from, resulting in quick scenes and Will Hurt's performance.

It just makes me think, if they got all this money to pour into something for t.v. then why not make a cinema feature instead? ya know it makes sense.

Zensteve
02-17-2005, 12:02 PM
IMO, the Sci-Fi Channel version of Dune was long overdue and rather good overall.

(They also did "Dune Messiah" & "Children of Dune", combined. It's 3 DVDs long) :cool:

The only thing Lynch's version had going for it was concept art, set design and wardrobe. The screenplay was abysmal and a prime example of expository writing at its worst. (The voiceovers never stopped). Additionally, the story was absolutely butchered.

Seen Lynch's version on TV recently? Take a look at the name of the director now. Hey, it's Alan Smithee! Yes, it's so bad that Lynch himself washed his hands of it.

Mind you, that won't stop me from getting the extended uncut version of it when it is released later this year. (It's also supposed to be in the first batch of HD-DVD at the end of the year) http://www.stevenrichards.com/images/smiley_fatpig.gif

The TV adaptation may have had failings in a few areas, but it is a great example of how a strong, well-written story can overcome a made-for-cable budget and the odd dodgey-looking set.

_______

I don't think a yet-newer adaptation of the original books would be in order. Personally, I would rather see other Herbert books taken to the screen. He wrote dozens of books dealing with "genetic engineering" issues... which would be very relevant for today.

Especially "The Jesus Incident" and "The Lazarus Effect".

There is also a slew of pulp-style sci-fi to consider... "The God-Makers" would be a great pick, too.

:abduct:

bensmerglia
02-17-2005, 02:57 PM
I'd like to see maybe Grand Theft Auto...

There's also a short story by Roald Dahl I'd like to see adapted, called "The Landlady."

SuperSoupy
02-18-2005, 09:54 AM
There is a film called Grand Theft Auto, but it came out decades ago. i suspect the game series ( the first one at least) is based loosely on that, but I'm not too sure. But remember, game conversions into movies don't tend to go terribly well at all. I'm sure anyone who's seen Tomb Raider would agree, the only thing that had going for it was Jolie's Jubblies :P

Anyways, yea Zen, i would agree that the film world could do with some decent sci fi novel adaptations. Some of Peter Hamilton's stuff springs to mind, like Pandora's Star. Rather that than another half baked 'Aliens' movie.