help me im torn on lens choice...pweeez!

Okay my budget is about 1K. I use a GH2. It is for a feature film.

I am torn between getting:

Voigtlander 17.5mm 0.95. £1100

or

Panasonic Leica 25mm 1.4. £500 + LA7200 Anamorphic adapter which i think will cost about £400.

I like the anamorphic cinematic look on one hand but on the other the voiglander is awesome! please throw some pro's and con's my way and don't be afraid to tell me what YOU would go for..

Many thanks.

DS

The anamorphic stuff always looks fun, but I think in the end its a gimmick on the GH2. The practical aspects of shooting with an add on anamorphic adapter seem to me to be rather understated, aren't there issues with racking focus etc?

That 17.5 seems very nice I guess. I have an old canon FD 17mm and I love that focal length on my GH2. I use it a lot, even more than my 28mm.

I think you will be happy with either choice.

EDIT: The rest is a note to self!

When your considering spending $1000 on a bit of kit for a hobby, is not about "being practical" any longer is it? If this is not a "hobby" purchase, then you should be making the decision based on economics and customer demand, but lets not kid our selves anymore OK? You got a problem, at least it doesn't hurt your liver! ...

The anamorphic stuff always looks fun...

By 'looks fun' don't you mean looks finger-licking-amazing! Anamorphic is like that really hot model looking chick that you know will cause you headache and trouble but somehow you just dont care. And then there's the girl friend who's amazing in everyway and you know she's right for you but man...that model sure does look good...ahem...strange example but moving on...

i too like the 17mm on a gh2...

those adapters are hard to find now anyways...

Thanks anyway for the input wheatgrinder.

Back