Few questions regarding first film

Hi y'all I have a few questions regarding the first film I'm filming. I am planning to enter into festivals

1.) Do I need permission to shoot at each location or can I just shoot? Will festivals take my film as a submission without written permission from different places for certain scenes?

2.) If I have random people in a scene that don't say anything (basically extras) do they still need to sign a release?

3.) Am I allowed to have different logos in my film such as bud light cans and red sox hat?

4.) Can I say random names in my film such as Bob Sagget and Oprah?

5.) Can I say random place references in my film such as Walmart, Kraft and the playboy Mansion?

6.) Fairly certain I can't have somebody sing Jingle Bells in my film since its owned by somebody but is there a way I can get around that. AKA somebody sing the same song who's not the copyrighted artist or somebody sing it with similar lyrics but just slightly different?

Thank you everybody so much for the help. It is greatly appreciated

1) Depends, yes.
2) Yes.
3) No.
4) Depends.
5) Depends.
6) No. (But Jingle Bells is likely public domain, so for this song, yes. But check to confirm.)

Use the search function to find more detailed answers.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Company and celbrity names

Cool. Thanks. I have been searching but couldnt find the answer to: Are you allowed to say names of celbrities and companies in a film. Such as Bob Sagget or Kraft Macoroni? Or do you need permission to say so. I know it sounds crazy but i was thinking their could be llegal ramifications of doing so

I was told by a entertainment lawyer (I am not one so don't take this as legal advice) that you can "casually mention a person, TV show or movie in your film. You can NOT however perform ANY dialog or sing any songs owned by others. He said a "Clearance" company will tell you to get permission for EVERYTHING because that is there business. Of course ANYONE can file a lawsuit against you if you say bad things about them. It may not stand up in court but an angry celeb can always take some legal action. It's always best to contact a lawyer regarding these questions.

I know that STAR WARS and THE DEATH STAR is mentioned in the movie Clerks
Did they get permission to mention the film? Probably not, biut it might have been cleared by the distributor.

Basically talk with a lawyer before making your film. Someone will cut you a deal on some cheap consultation if you look hard enough.
Best of Luck.

Cool. Thanks. I have been searching but couldnt find the answer to: Are you allowed to say names of celbrities and companies in a film. Such as Bob Sagget or Kraft Macoroni? Or do you need permission to say so. I know it sounds crazy but i was thinking their could be llegal ramifications of doing so

1.) Do I need permission to shoot at each location or can I just shoot? Will festivals take my film as a submission without written permission from different places for certain scenes?
If you think can get away with saving a lot of money then don't pull a permit. I've never heard of a festival wanting to see permits. Even if some did I'd want to save money. Permits are like $900 a day in LA. Cost prohibitive.

4.) Can I say random names in my film such as Bob Sagget and Oprah?
You can even poke fun at celebs. Remember the mentioning of Calista Flockhart in Scary Movie? "That's just a skeleton. Why are you afraid? Would you be afraid of Calista Flockhart?"

Back