5D Mark III vs. D800

Looking for suggestions to shoot a feature on.

Leaning towards the GH2 + hack as the primary camera. But I'm also considering a 5D or D800 as a secondary camera for shots where we just can't make the crop factor of the GH2 work and need the larger sensor. Which we be the better choice to match with the GH2?

Lenses will be Compact Primes (either with the F-mount or the EF mount, + an adapter to adapt to the GH2).

Looking for suggestions to shoot a feature on.

Leaning towards the GH2 + hack as the primary camera. But I'm also considering a 5D or D800 as a secondary camera for shots where we just can't make the crop factor of the GH2 work and need the larger sensor. Which we be the better choice to match with the GH2?

Lenses will be Compact Primes (either with the F-mount or the EF mount, + an adapter to adapt to the GH2).

Andrew - if you're going to spend ~$1000+ for a GH2, and maybe $4000 for a full frame camera, plus the money you'll spend on the audio gear you need to make up for DSLR shortfalls - why not just shoot single camera with the large sensor, interchangeable lens FS100, which, unhacked, gives you pro internal audio, zero moire, a headphone jack & superb (almost unnatural) low light capability?

Yes, you'll give up the full frame aesthetic - and the flexibility of having a B cam - but you'll probably get better results on the screen.

I love my GH2 - and if I had to choose between the D800 and the 5DMkIII to shoot a feature, I'd pick the Canon due to its lack of moire, and the fact that its softness problem can be fixed in post (Dugdale seems to agree and bought the 5DMkIII after a side-by-side comparison w the D800) - but if I could afford to ditch DSLRs for the FS100, I would :)

Cheers,

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
Back