shots

I'm tailoring my script to suit my shooting budget. Here is a question for you lot:

"Exterior house scene with 2 men drinking beer having a conversation.

A big tire crushes in front of the men. An eight year old boy emerges from the tire.

His father takes out a belt and whips him."

Is this going to be a difficult shoot? I know that the ratio will be 4:1

Does the coverage (master shot) include the little boy since he shows up in the middle of the scene?

And lastly, if it was your scene, how would you film it?

no boy in the master. you can how ever cut to him rolling down the hill towards the house. My advice for the the whoel sequence is, keep it text book. Then if you have time and resources try for the special shots.

you porbably know this but

1 master
2 second master (cut the distance in half, totaly optional)
3 2shot
4 singles (on dialouge)
5 dirty 2shot (when tire boy enters)

those basic 5 should get the job done.

hope that helps

The master should include the entire scene from start to finish. Especially if there are characters entering/leaving in mid scene. And most of your coverage should run the scene from start to finish as well, you'll give yourself more options that way, & generate more dialog to use to cover flubbed lines/inaudible takes.

quick question, what does it mean when someone is talking about a shot and they say the ratio is 4:1...im not sure i understand that

For instance, three characters in a scene - you shoot the master and three close up shots of your characters - you end up with four shots of one scene.

Mr. Blonde said:
quick question, what does it mean when someone is talking about a shot and they say the ratio is 4:1...im not sure i understand that

4 minutes of film (or video) shot for 1 page of script. That would include both multiple takes & multiple camera setups (coverage).

BTW, a good rule of thumb is 1 page of script= 1 minute on screen.

Back