Good film making books?

Hello,

Can anyone out there recommend some good film making books? Less on the business side, and more on the how to and why side. I have a small amount of DIY experience so am looking for something above the absolute beginner level. Recomendations?

Thanks.

"Sound is half of the experience."

Dialog Editing - John Purcell

The Foley Grail - Vanessa Ament

The Sound Effects Bible - Ric Viers

Each of these folks has extensive experience in their field and is highly regarded by their peers. Check out John and Vanessas IMDB pages. BTW, Ric Viers has extensive how-to and road trip videos on his web-site and on YouTube, as well as being a Rode spokesman. His sound FX collections are fantastic as well.

For a more general look at sound-for-picture:

Practical Art of Motion Picture Sound - David Yewdall

Sound Design - David Sonnenschein

The Yewdall book is a more nuts-and-bolts look at audio post, the Sonnenschein book takes a more artistic/philosophical approach. They counter-balance each other rather nicely, actually.

Last edited:
Radicalkat,

There are a lot of good books on film-making. Many of the above books others have recommended, I have read. There is NO one single source. Read. Read more. And then read more. I am currently reading Writing In Pictures by Joseph McBride (2012) and (reading again) Acting For The Camera by Tony Barr (1997).

Also. Read scripts. You can learn a lot from quality scripts -- you can also learn from 'bad' scripts -- then watch as many movies as possible (from those scripts when possible) too. It all fits together. Life is learning and that should be consistant and constant -- never stop learning (until you stop breathing).

Also, read fiction (currently reading 77 Shadow Street by Dean Kootnz and The Horror Hall of Fame, short stories). Expand your horizons. Push your envelope.

There is NO single ONE thing (book) that has all the answers. Everything contributes to your gaining knowledge. While you are at it, make something.

Now go out and make that great movie you were born to make!

Back