Question about storyboarding.

In my first short film a lot of the storyboards were mis communicated to the DP. Basically if an actor went out of frame, the DP would not move the camera to follow that person, in his or her activity. She kept the camera still unless I said so. So for my next project I want there to be zero confusion. What's the professional way to write on the storyboard to move the camera if it cannot fit all the characters in, and what kind of movement as well? Thanks.

im by no means an expert but what I normally do is draw an arrow on the board to indicate the direction I want the camera moving in and i write something like camera tilts up/down, pans left/right etc.

Last edited:
It's also probably a good idea to collaborate with your DP before you shoot each scene. You should be actively discussing what you'd like to see happen with the camera, and he/she will probably have some professional opinions about camera movement.

The storyboard is great for getting everyone on the same page and keeping organized, but you shouldn't rely solely on it.

Um, yeah. No disrespect, but your DP sounds like she's not too swift. Most DP's (like me, for instance) would, um, ASK THE FREAKING DIRECTOR if there was any question about the shot! Storyboards are just a jumping-off point.

This totally reminds me of the scene in Spinal Tap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTZXp0dSzTw

My favourite is where he is talking about the amp going to 11, the interviewer asks him why not make 10 louder, he pauses and says "yeah but this one goes to 11"

Love that movie so much.

Maybe have a meeting with the DOP before hand and make sure there isn't any confusion. I don't think you could ever be over prepared.

Cattle Prod! See, it IS my answer for everything!

Seriously though, if you want a particular result (more camera movement), you will need to communicate that. If you're not getting that, say so.

You need a new DP.... No matter how detailed or lose your storyboards.... if the actors go off position... follow them! At least you'll get something usable. Or cut immediately and fix the problem... but a DP just locking the camera and ignoring the action???? :weird:

cheers
geo

Georgia Hilton MPE MPSE CAS
Film Doctors http://www.filmdoctors.com
HMM Production Company http://www.hmmproductions.com
HMM Location Truck http://www.editingtruck.com
CREDITS (partial) http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0385255/resume
MEMBER: IATSE LOCAL 700

Last edited:
Yes they should know to follow the actors unless it's noted that the character is gonig to walk OS for that shot. Tell your DP to make sure that they don't cut off the actor, unless noted otherwise. One little tip and strong communication can go a long way.

Didn't you communicate to the DP what you wanted to see? Or after the first take see what they were shooting and say 'actually can we follow him/her as she walks through the room?'.

harmonica44,

I'm sorry to hear that things didn't turn out like you wanted them to for your short. Your DP definitely should have communicated with you if there was an issue with the actors blocking compared to the camera movement. Personally, as a director, I don't like my camera moving all too much and try to stage my actors to move within the frame I'm working with (but that's a simple choice.)

One way you could try to solve this problem is having a monitor on set. I like being able to look at a monitor to see exactly what my shot looks like and how my actors are on camera. Also, it never hurts to have an extra set of eyes on the frame.

If you plan on working with this DP again, I would talk with her about what you want. Storyboards can only communicate so much, and I often find that things don't always work out the way I intended them to in the storyboards anyways.

Best of luck with your film.

~Dave

Depending on how detailed the storyboard is many if not most of them also show clear camera/actor/light instructions and even arrows and notes to avoid all confusions. Also I don't want to sound judgmental without seeing the actual storyboard, the script and knowing your DP but it seems like a: DP -You- Storyboard artist kind of communication problem to me.

Uhhh the DP did what they were told to do. However, you would think a decent one would have spoke w/ the director on the issue of the talent being out of frame. Question.....was anyone reviewing the footage as it was being shot?.

To me the "art" of filmmaking ( especially low / no-budget ) is to make do with whatever the day brings you. I / we have to be resourceful and adapt, make corrections and adjust constantly. If room A is not working for my scene for whatever, move to room B and make it happen w/ a new plan of attack created on the spot. If the lighting is not going to let me shoot what I originally wanted because of time of day or whatever, I have to try and adapt. Ohh and I screw up all the time...he he he

;) +1
Uhhh the DP did what they were told to do. However, you would think a decent one would have spoke w/ the director on the issue of the talent being out of frame. Question.....was anyone reviewing the footage as it was being shot?.

To me the "art" of filmmaking ( especially low / no-budget ) is to make do with whatever the day brings you. I / we have to be resourceful and adapt, make corrections and adjust constantly. If room A is not working for my scene for whatever, move to room B and make it happen w/ a new plan of attack created on the spot. If the lighting is not going to let me shoot what I originally wanted because of time of day or whatever, I have to try and adapt. Ohh and I screw up all the time...he he he

Back