lighting truck rental

I have exterior scenes which will be shot on a tennis court. I don't have enough money to rent a lighting truck. How in God's name will I light my scenes without a lighting truck? Any thoughts?

Firstly... is it day or night - Without being silly, there's a huge difference in terms of what kit is needed. And secondly, Film or DV - if you're shooting film you'll need a bigger lighting kit than you can get away with DV.

Cool, well day scenes with DV are easy. Firstly, here's a bit of advice as to the type of day. That is, will you be shooting on a cloudy day / sunny day / broken cloud. Broken cloud is a nightmare for lighting continuity, that is if you shoot a shot here and it's cloudy and then a shot there a bit later and the sun's out, when you cut it together it will look strange! If you're shooting on a pure sunny day just get yourself an ultra big bounce board. What's a bounce board? A massive reflective surface. Not a mirror, but something like tin foil or one of those reflective car shades you put behind your windscreen. Use the reflector as a 'fill light' to reduce the contrast caused by your 'key light' which is the sun! This way you don't need any generators!
On a cloudy day you're pretty much set, depending on how dense the cloud is. Cloudy daylight is nice and even, but unfortunately can look flat on screen and uninteresting.
So if you want a proper lighting kit what d'you need. Find yourself a nice 5 or 6kva Generator and plug in a 800watt redhead or a 1kw blonde to use as a key light to lift the scene.
So in summary, if it's sunny - use a bounce board to place under the subject to bounce the sunlight back onto the subject to give them a bit more lift - this way you don't need any lights, or any power!!! aka - Bonus!

Well if you have them on it's a bonus, but be careful of creating panda bears. That is, top light, which it will be if they are floods, cause shadows under the eye sockets. Use a bounce board to bounce the light into those shadows to fill them.

Back