Drugs on Camera

What would the general guideline be to portraying illegal drugs on camera? I'm producing a script right now that has two or three scenes with drug use in that are pretty important to the story.

1. The use of a powder drug like "Special K" or Ketamine is going to be portrayed with power ibuprofen. Is there any foreseeable issues with using a completely legal drug and pretending it's another drug.

2. I'm absolutely stumped on how to get around the smoking of marijuana. I considered showing him rolling something that looks like weed into a joint, then having them smoke rolled tobacco, but the smoke will look noticeably different to anyone that knows what weed smoke looks like. I see it in movies, television, and music videos all the time... so how bad would it be to actually use weed?

What would the general guideline be to portraying illegal drugs on camera? I'm producing a script right now that has two or three scenes with drug use in that are pretty important to the story.

1. The use of a powder drug like "Special K" or Ketamine is going to be portrayed with power ibuprofen. Is there any foreseeable issues with using a completely legal drug and pretending it's another drug.

As long as you're not having anyone snort the ibuprofen, that should be fine. If they're going to snort it, or otherwise ingest it, use some combination of powdered sugars, etc.

2. I'm absolutely stumped on how to get around the smoking of marijuana. I considered showing him rolling something that looks like weed into a joint, then having them smoke rolled tobacco, but the smoke will look noticeably different to anyone that knows what weed smoke looks like. I see it in movies, television, and music videos all the time... so how bad would it be to actually use weed?

Don't use weed. What you can use is any of the legal "marijuana substitutes" out there. Just Google "legal weed" and you'll get a ton of results. This is what they did for Pineapple Express and other films. In very large doses, these things might get your cast buzzed, but for the most part, it's not going to have any effect (other than the placebo effect).

As long as you're not having anyone snort the ibuprofen, that should be fine. If they're going to snort it, or otherwise ingest it, use some combination of powdered sugars, etc.

Don't use weed. What you can use is any of the legal "marijuana substitutes" out there. Just Google "legal weed" and you'll get a ton of results. This is what they did for Pineapple Express and other films. In very large doses, these things might get your cast buzzed, but for the most part, it's not going to have any effect (other than the placebo effect).

Thanks, that's actually really useful. Somehow I didn't think about legal substitutes... although I think they're a terrible thing (because most of them are just chemicals not yet criminalized), that would definitely work better than tobacco.

I think they're a terrible thing (because most of them are just chemicals not yet criminalized)

"Spice" is illegal in a few states already, so check yours before going that route. Additionally, your actors may have issues with using synthetic cannabinoids at all.

Fwiw, the psychoactive chemicals are sprayed onto dried flower buds. Why not just use unsprayed dried flower buds? It shouldn't be that hard to find out what type of flower gets used. Heck, you could probably find something that looks suitable down at your local crafts & hobby store. (It would taste like ass, though)

Edit: More banned than I thought, already:

Wikipedia said:
On November 24, 2010, the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration announced it would use emergency powers to ban many synthetic cannabinoids within a month.[5] Prior to the announcement, several US states had already made them illegal under state law. As of March 1, 2011, five cannabinoids, JWH-018, JWH-073, CP-47,497, JWH-200, and cannabicyclohexanol are now illegal in the US because these substances have the potential to be extremely harmful and, therefore, pose an imminent hazard to the public safety.[6][7]

Yea, most of them are banned in PA already. I still might be able to find some sort of substitute that makes nearly the same smoke. I may just use tobacco like I said before and add a bit to it in AE during post. It looks like the best option.

so how bad would it be to actually use weed?

Well, if the person smoking it is someone who actually smokes it, and if you make it the very last shot of your day, then it shouldn't mess up production at all.

And are you worried about the legalities? How in the world is anyone going to prove that you were actually using real marijuana? Do you really think there is any possibility that anyone will call you out on this?

Major studios (and maybe even minor production companies) have to worry about stuff like this. People like you and me can do whatever the hell we want.

i can't tell the difference from MJ and a dried lawn grass when i see it on the screen lol.

is it a hand rolled joint? then i assume its weed.
is it a nicely packed cigarette? then i think its a tobacco.

You can stuff the paper with cat hair if you d like to, i doubt somebody will notice..

filmmaking is an illusion, a huge magic show. That's why i love it!

Well, if the person smoking it is someone who actually smokes it, and if you make it the very last shot of your day, then it shouldn't mess up production at all.
And are you worried about the legalities? How in the world is anyone going to prove that you were actually using real marijuana? Do you really think there is any possibility that anyone will call you out on this?
Major studios (and maybe even minor production companies) have to worry about stuff like this. People like you and me can do whatever the hell we want.

100% AGREED :cool:. But this if the actor agree to smoke real stuff sure. If he don't you can use fake stuff:

1. For cocaine you can use powdered sugar, powdered milk, flour wheat and baking soda.

2. For marijuana Google: ' legal bud, Legal weed or Legal marijuana" or, this what i would do if i want to have convincing marijuana smoke out of tobacco:

1- Do not use filter for the joint.
2- Make the tobacco little wet.
3- Role it using two paper instead of one or more if you can. just make the papers little wet, and it will stuck easy.
4- Use paper with any taste not classic.
5- You can add little bit tea leafs.

Above comments have covered as I would comment (give or take). The only thing I can add.

I made extremely 'realistic' Schedule 8 -- controlled drug prescription bottles for THE HAUNTED MOVIE. Filled with over the counter pills and not easily noticeable misspelled technical name. People were shocked and concerned that I had them, even though the prescription was also for a fictitious character. Good mimic. I destroyed the bottles after use in the film. Yeah. If busted -- I would be cleared eventually, but why put myself in that position.

As with guns and any other 'questionable' need for your film. Be cool and careful. There is a history of film makers getting nixed and penalized in the process of creating their art.

Back