what mount are these ?

hey guys i just got back from a long drive since i work mostly driving to all states and places.i like to stop at small shops along the way like pawn shops and trade places looking for video/photo equipment & stuff since you never know what you may find out there.Today i was lucky to find a place and i picked up 3 lens i found at this local shop that sells and trades used items for almost nothing ! .

these are the 3 lens

lenses01.png

i own a canon t3i DSLR Camera. i was wondering if i can use any of these lens on my camera since i have seen and heard about people using vintage lens with dslrs. i need to know what type of mounts are these and what mount/converted i would need to make it work with my T3i.

Info on the lens are as follow :

TAMRON 1 : 3.8 1:4/210 80-210MM 103A

lenses02.png

PROMASTER SPECTRUM 7 MC 1 : 3.8 F=70-210MM

lenses06.png

CANON FD 28MM 1:2.8 S.C

lenses05.png

WHAT MOUNTS ARE THESE ? AND WHICH ADAPTER I WILL NEED TO USE THSE 3 LENS WITH MY T3I IF ITS POSSIBLE ?

mountsz.png

(Going by the last pic.) The first one - Canon f/2.8 - is certainly FD-mount, the second one... not totally sure (looks similar to FD, but...). The third (Tamron) looks to be threaded/screw and may possibly be M42.

FD-to-EOS converters are available on eBay but they involve optics to correct for the flange focal distance and all that jazz. ...so you've often got an inferior piece of glass between your lens and your camera that may give you some color fringing/chromatic aberration.

You can remove the glass (or simpler - buy one without it) but you wouldn't be able to focus at infinity. Nice for close-up stuff, though.

M42-to-EOS converters are cheap, usually nothing more than a piece of metal you screw onto the end of an M42 style lens which allows it to snap right into an EOS camera.

Last edited:
My advice would be to look for something faster, and avoid FD mounts. You can usually get really decent and reasonably-priced vintage f/1.8 or even f/1.4 50mm primes in M42 mount on eBay.

Though if the ones pictured are selling cheap, it doesn't hurt to have some extra lenses for particular "looks" you may be going for in your footage.

Hope this helps!

i appreciate you guys taking the time to help me out on this since i am new out of the box to the whole video/photos and lens. any direct links to the adapters i may need to make this work with my t3i would really help me out.

Been meaning to enquire why my infinity focus happens before the focus ring is maxxed out.
smiley_mysterysolved.gif

How much before "maxed out," and do you mean physically maxed out or at the witness mark for infinity (with some stroke past that remaining).

AFAIK many lenses will stroke past their infinity mark, but actual focus is at the mark, not the end of lens travel. Overstroke is common on the near end as well.

If you're using a bare (no glass) adapter with an FD lens on an EOS body, then yeah, that is the likely cause.

Back