• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch The Flight of the Flamingo Teaser Scene

This is a little something Nick and I have been working on for the past week!

"The Flight of the Flamingo is an upcoming feature film, scheduled for production in Summer 2012. The film follows the fate of four young men, whose money-spinning endeavour- stealing and ransoming pet dogs- backfires spectacularly. They are left with two armed men on their tail, one inconvenient dog and almost no options.
This promo scene comes a third of the way into the movie when the guns for hire Ronnie (Adrian Bouchet) and Paulie (Alex Moore) arrive at Sebastian's (James Poole) door, demanding information about the location of their client's beloved family pet.
We decided to shoot this particular scene because it nicely sets up the dynamic between Sebastian and the antagonists with whom he has to deal throughout the movie. The complexities of Sebastian as character also shine through, his early moral ambiguity is essential in making sure that people root for him later in the film.
It also gave us the chance to work with some top actors in the parts of Ronnie and Paulie. We cast Adrian and Alex, who are both 6'4, based both on their physical presence and the way in which that physicality translates into intelligent, combative dialogue. Throughout the movie, regardless of which characters and which scene, the film still has the strong, darkly comic sense of both exchanging barbs and playing with words."

A relevant thread can be found here: http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=39188

Enjoy the 3 minute scene! https://vimeo.com/40192746

tumblr_lhrgxfJB7U1qazkdco1_500.gif

Great work! Actors seem perfect for the roles. Kudos to Nick for directing them well :D

If you keep doing justice like this to the full, great screenplay, you're going to have a spectacular film on your hands. :clap:

Last edited:
Great work! Actors seem perfect for the roles. Kudos to Nick for directing them well :D

If you keep doing justice like this to the full, great screenplay, you're going to have a spectacular film on your hands. :clap:

Cheers Fernando. I'm probably a better Casting Director than I am Director but I enjoy any sort of praise ;)

Both Adrian Bouchet (who you might recognise from Alien vs Predator) and Alex Moore (who you might recognise from a small role in Green Zone) have really interesting filmographies and it was great to have them onboard.

Sweet guys, keep it up!

Oh, we'll try Paul, we'll try...

Looks like it was shot by a 16-year old.
smiley_colbert.gif

Oh wai... :huh:

That's a great-lookin' scene, guys. Definitely gonna watch the whole thing, when it's complete :cool:

Dug all the bts pics of gear & equip in your earlier thread, too. Thanks for sharing those.

Looks like it was shot by a 16-year old.
smiley_colbert.gif

Oh wai... :huh:

That's a great-lookin' scene, guys. Definitely gonna watch the whole thing, when it's complete :cool:

Dug all the bts pics of gear & equip in your earlier thread, too. Thanks for sharing those.

Now what looks like it was shot by a 16 year old? Hehe :)

Thanks for the compliment! Can't wait to show you more!

Congrats, guys. That looks awesome. Can't wait to see the final product.

A question (or two) if I may? I take it this hasn't gotten the full post treatment yet, right? Just asking because the light seems blown out on some scenes to my naked eyes. Is that part of the look, or did you guys go that way to get a lot of light during the shoot to give you room for post work? Sorry just trying to fit the pieces together. I was watching the making of the Harry Porter movies on Bio this week and noticed how much light was used during the shoot and how they brought it all down in post for the dark looks and stuff.

Thanks for sharing and good luck.

Congrats, guys. That looks awesome. Can't wait to see the final product.

A question (or two) if I may? I take it this hasn't gotten the full post treatment yet, right? Just asking because the light seems blown out on some scenes to my naked eyes. Is that part of the look, or did you guys go that way to get a lot of light during the shoot to give you room for post work? Sorry just trying to fit the pieces together. I was watching the making of the Harry Porter movies on Bio this week and noticed how much light was used during the shoot and how they brought it all down in post for the dark looks and stuff.

Thanks for sharing and good luck.

Hi Kosh, thanks for the comments :)

I was wondering which shots you were talking about? To my eye there's nothing that's blown out, so I'm not sure which bit you're referring to. I assume the bedroom bits where there's a lot more light because that's the morning sun streaming in. I'm not a cinematographer but every looks, to me, to be exposed correctly.

But we'd always be open to taking it down a little bit if people did feel it was over exposed.

Hey, Nick. I think it looks wonderful, actually. Well exposed for my eyes. It's just that in the room when the girl asks "Who was that?", there seemed to be a lot of white back there - it looked blown out to me. But you guys are there and watching this stuff through the viewfinder so you should know better. It could be my piece of crap monitor on my laptop that betrays my eyes. I was just wondering if any data was lost in those highlights. If not, which may very well be the case, then awesome job on lighting that scene (especially with the mirrors and all that white).

Like I said, this looks really awesome and very impressive on so many levels. I can't wait for the final product.

Really nice work, you guys! Is this a comedy, or a straight-on caper?

Just a few comments:

1) The line, "Is it urgent?" was supremely delivered with the perfect amount of sarcasm and gesture.
2) I could not make out Sebastian's words at 2:12. I understand it needs to be muffled because it's through the door, I was able to understand all his other dialogue, just not at that particular point.
3) The extreme closeup at 1:56-1:57...was the intention to emphasize the text ("...clearly see...")? Personally, I found it a bit disconcerting. I don't think you needed a cut there, but if it's a stylistic choice cut to text, then I can appreciate it better.
4) Will you ask Alex Moore to marry me?

Absolutely loved the scene. If the rest of the film is as good as this scene then I suspect I will be getting friends to watch this some time down the line.

Hey, Nick. I think it looks wonderful, actually. Well exposed for my eyes. It's just that in the room when the girl asks "Who was that?", there seemed to be a lot of white back there - it looked blown out to me. But you guys are there and watching this stuff through the viewfinder so you should know better. It could be my piece of crap monitor on my laptop that betrays my eyes. I was just wondering if any data was lost in those highlights. If not, which may very well be the case, then awesome job on lighting that scene (especially with the mirrors and all that white).

Like I said, this looks really awesome and very impressive on so many levels. I can't wait for the final product.

I think you're right that some detail is lost in places in that scene but (hopefully) it's all either out of focus or on the edge of frame, so that it gives the scene that light washed morning feel and draws focus to the humans present. I'm sure when Phil isn't busy in Vegas he'll be able to give you a better answer :)

Really nice work, you guys! Is this a comedy, or a straight-on caper?

Just a few comments:

1) The line, "Is it urgent?" was supremely delivered with the perfect amount of sarcasm and gesture.
2) I could not make out Sebastian's words at 2:12. I understand it needs to be muffled because it's through the door, I was able to understand all his other dialogue, just not at that particular point.
3) The extreme closeup at 1:56-1:57...was the intention to emphasize the text ("...clearly see...")? Personally, I found it a bit disconcerting. I don't think you needed a cut there, but if it's a stylistic choice cut to text, then I can appreciate it better.
4) Will you ask Alex Moore to marry me?

I'd call it a dark comedy, not sure that it's very caperous at all ;)

The CU at 1:56 is part stylistic choice, part mixing it up a bit. It was just a case of wanting to cut away to something but without losing the tension of the scene. I appreciate that it might not feel wholly necessary.

And the dialogue at 2:12 is, something like,: 'I'm a 20 year old white kid who last worked out for a squash tournament at my boarding school. So please come into my apartment with your guns, you delightful thugs.'

I will pass on your request to Alex Moore ;)

Absolutely loved the scene. If the rest of the film is as good as this scene then I suspect I will be getting friends to watch this some time down the line.

Thank you, we'll do our best!

I think you're right that some detail is lost in places in that scene but (hopefully) it's all either out of focus or on the edge of frame, so that it gives the scene that light washed morning feel and draws focus to the humans present. I'm sure when Phil isn't busy in Vegas he'll be able to give you a better answer :)

I watched it first and then read the comments in the thread. Intentional or not, it does not distract from the scene because i had to go back and look for it after reading the comments. Just fyi.

Anyway, nice work Nick and having read the script, im looking forward to watching the feature.

Hey Guys, back from Vegas now! Had a blast at NAB! And very briefly met Mr.Paul Griffith

Anyways. Yes, you are right, some highlights are blown out in the morning bedroom scenes. It's only blown out in the parts which are not relevant, so the important bits are correctly exposed. This was done as we only had one day to shoot the whole thing and had a big window as a light source, so we had to use the same light as for the other scenes but make it look different. I also added a Tungsten light into the daylight temperature, to make it a bit warmer!

Back