Is it me or does 3400 ISO look good?

I was told that it's too noisy, and yes it has noise, but one a scene I shot at 3400, it looks pretty good still. 800 I find actually has more noise, in a night scene that is. 3400 in the day or a bright scene produces more noise and looks terrible, but in a darkly lit scene or at night it actually has less noise than 800. Plus in a darkly lit scene then noise can be red at 800, on people's skin, where at 3400 the color still remains pretty good. The only concern seems to be is that the picture is a little blurry, unless something else caused that.

Last edited:
the resulting noise is due to a combination of light and iso. try shooting that same night scene at 3400 iso and you'll see what I mean.

more light + higher iso = you're okay
less light + lower iso = you're okay
more light + lower iso = you're blown out
less light + higher iso = you'll be shooting noise

moral of the story is: if you have any questions, use more light.

i don't know much about these things, but this is my understanding.

the resulting noise is due to a combination of light and iso. try shooting that same night scene at 3400 iso and you'll see what I mean.

more light + higher iso = you're okay
less light + lower iso = you're okay
more light + lower iso = you're blown out
less light + higher iso = you'll be shooting noise

moral of the story is: if you have any questions, use more light.

i don't know much about these things, but this is my understanding.

That doesn't really make sense or am i completely stupid? :huh: :huh:

The higher your ISO, the more sensitive your sensor is to light! Higher ISO = More Light

Thus:

more light + higher iso = you're blown out (way too bright)
less light + lower iso = you're underexposed (too dark)
more light + lower iso = You're correctly exposed
less light + higher iso = You might have a correctly exposed image, but much more noise than with the combination of more light + lower ISO

That's how I understand it. And that's how I have always shot. And my images are normally clean :P

That doesn't really make sense or am i completely stupid? :huh: :huh:

The higher your ISO, the more sensitive your sensor is to light! Higher ISO = More Light

Thus:

more light + higher iso = you're blown out (way too bright)
less light + lower iso = you're underexposed (too dark)
more light + lower iso = You're correctly exposed
less light + higher iso = You might have a correctly exposed image, but much more noise than with the combination of more light + lower ISO

That's how I understand it. And that's how I have always shot. And my images are normally clean :P

phil, you're EXACTLY right. I had it just the opposite. So I think it is my right to claim the "stupid" title.

I really haven't slept for a long time. I can't believe that I actually functioned today. As you can see, I'm so stupid that not only do I claim the title, but I want another excuse also. :)
cheers,
Aveek
ps. your videos are great by the way.

phil, you're EXACTLY right. I had it just the opposite. So I think it is my right to claim the "stupid" title.

I really haven't slept for a long time. I can't believe that I actually functioned today. As you can see, I'm so stupid that not only do I claim the title, but I want another excuse also. :)
cheers,
Aveek
ps. your videos are great by the way.

Haha, I gotcha :)

ah, your both right and your both wrong! HA

more light + higher ISO lets you set a faster shutter speed and crank down the iris. Now why would you want to do that you might ask.. well lemetellya...

shooting 60p hummingbirds in flight. You need deep DOF (small iris, f22) and low\no motion blur (fast shutter, on the order of 1/2000 of a sec) Even in mostly sun, this is hard to get without boosting the ISO.

Back