• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Okay, my second ever short film is done.

That's right. Clifford Timmons comes down with a strange illness unexpectedly when his inlaws fly in and he is forced to stay home alone by his concerned wife. He takes the opportunity to raid with his warcraft buddies. It's all good until his wife comes home early.

I shot this one using the input on the problems with my first short. I paid more attention to white balance and introduced both blue gels and shooting in a car at night. Lighting and micing a car that is underway is not easy :no:

I still have a long way to go so any constructive criticism or outright crucifixion is all good. I tried to obey the rule of thirds more closely this time. Mixed results. I need a real camera guy so badly :lol:

Also, if anyone knows how to beat this crappy resolution problem I'm having uploading to youtube, I'd love to hear about it. The footage looks great right from my xl2 to my large television. When it goes to my Imac, it looks pixilated. :hmm: Do SD camera's just look like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ej1aOADNZE

Thanks for watching and for any input. :cool:

Last edited:
That was funny, It didn't go where I was thinking it would.

You asked for constructive criticism; almost the whole of the first half is that same shot of the couple talking, maybe if you had done it from his and her point of view as well and chopped it together it could have came across better. (just like in the soaps, when someone talks its usually them talking towards the camera)

That was funny, It didn't go where I was thinking it would.

You asked for constructive criticism; almost the whole of the first half is that same shot of the couple talking, maybe if you had done it from his and her point of view as well and chopped it together it could have came across better. (just like in the soaps, when someone talks its usually them talking towards the camera)

I appreciate the honest input. I will be working more on getting more interesting,dynamic shots going forward. I am so newbish that this was the first time I've ever shot anything using gels or even with more than one person in the scene. I have much to learn, but I am having fun learning the craft though! :yes:

I thought it was funny - clean and simple short.
Couple of things I would had like to see done; as mentioned above, you could had shot the opening conversation better. Also the guy didn't sound/seem ill, you need to portray that better.

One last thing, instead of taking the easy way out and putting "45min later", why not come up with a more interesting way of saying so? For example, when the lady gets in the car, she turns on the radio and we can see Tue time on the display, then when her mom calls, she turns down the music and we now see the elapsed time.

Good luck!

I thought it was funny - clean and simple short.
Couple of things I would had like to see done; as mentioned above, you could had shot the opening conversation better. Also the guy didn't sound/seem ill, you need to portray that better.

One last thing, instead of taking the easy way out and putting "45min later", why not come up with a more interesting way of saying so? For example, when the lady gets in the car, she turns on the radio and we can see Tue time on the display, then when her mom calls, she turns down the music and we now see the elapsed time.

Good luck!

Thank you very much for the honest criticism.

In particular, your idea concerning the clock on the radio would have been a brilliant solution to my passage of time problem. I will be using that idea going forward.:yes:

Back