• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch The Silence - Doctor Who fan film

http://youtu.be/oXWxXgyYeVQ

This is a short film I did a while ago but only got a chance to upload it now. It was one of the 3 short films that won me 2nd place in a national film festival. As the title says it's also a fan film of Doctor Who, but simply based on one of the characters from the show and they might exist outside the show, my own little take on it.

I directed, DP'd, edited, starred(only actor), shot the majority excluding anything that was hand held. It was a experiment for trying out tension and horror without showing a single creature. It was improvised in a way as all in my head.

If anyone has any questions love to answer them, but looking for feedback if I can get it!

http://youtu.be/oXWxXgyYeVQ

Really intense, I loved it! :)

The cinematography was brilliant, and the whole storyline to it was really good. I liked the narration to it, it worked really well with the atmosphere of the story. You done well without showing a single creature. You could have easily introduced one to the story, the way it was going but you never and it made it even more tense, right to the last second.

Nice to see a Dr Who film being a fan myself.
Good cinematography and narration fits well. What lens and camera did you use?

Very nice! Some good shots and very well told. Some of the narration could have been revised a bit, but overall, not bad at all!

Another Dr Who fan here (or at least, the newer stuff. The old Who I never cared for). The Silence are one of my favorite newer foes, alongside, of course, the Weeping Angels (my car has a bumper sticker that says "the angels have the phonebox") and the Vashta Nerada. Great stuff, and you did a good job capturing the creepiness of the Silence!

I liked it. I did not remember the Doc Who reference. I guess I did not remember or see that episode. Anyways you did a good job with this short.

The cinematography was well done. I liked the voice over too. I think you did a great job.

By him being a lone the whole time it did lend it self to him seemingly going crazy so he questioned if he was going crazy or if he were really seeing something. I do think it would have been better if there were other people in the film at some point. Maybe at the beginning you could have people in the film before he sets of on his lonely adventure. Then show a break up or something before he sets out on this research. I think maybe show him moving to a new house where he can't see his friends anymore or something along that lines. Maybe have a few people question him if he is doing ok since he seems to be depressed and a loner. Kinda reminds me of that movie 23 in some regards. Where you had to question if he was going crazy or if it was real.

Here is the Number 23 Trailer for reference just in case you never seen it. Donny Darko could be a good reference too.

http://youtu.be/4ElUBr6-GLU

Great job Adam. Hope you get a larger cast and crew for the next film. I think you got talent. Wish you best of luck in the future. Good job acting on this shot film too.

Last edited:
Really intense, I loved it! :)

The cinematography was brilliant, and the whole storyline to it was really good. I liked the narration to it, it worked really well with the atmosphere of the story. You done well without showing a single creature. You could have easily introduced one to the story, the way it was going but you never and it made it even more tense, right to the last second.

Thanks, glad you liked it. Those were really the things I was practising with this piece so glad you liked those! I didn't think it'd work showing one, it wouldn't have been as good as leaving it to a viewer's own imagination.

Nice to see a Dr Who film being a fan myself.
Good cinematography and narration fits well. What lens and camera did you use?

Love the show, and the Silence are such a great plot device. I used the Canon 600d, and majority with the 50mm 1.8 but may one or twice used the 28mm 2.8 lens(both Canon).

Very nice! Some good shots and very well told. Some of the narration could have been revised a bit, but overall, not bad at all!

Another Dr Who fan here (or at least, the newer stuff. The old Who I never cared for). The Silence are one of my favorite newer foes, alongside, of course, the Weeping Angels (my car has a bumper sticker that says "the angels have the phonebox") and the Vashta Nerada. Great stuff, and you did a good job capturing the creepiness of the Silence!

I'm no narrator or actor so I felt that was going to happen from the start ha. Oh really? That's brilliant ha! If I had a weeping angel costume like in the show I'd love to make a short film with the weeping angels

I liked it. I did not remember the Doc Who reference. I guess I did not remember or see that episode. Anyways you did a good job with this short.

The cinematography was well done. I liked the voice over too. I think you did a great job.

By him being a lone the whole time it did lend it self to him seemingly going crazy so he questioned if he was going crazy or if he were really seeing something. I do think it would have been better if there were other people in the film at some point. Maybe at the beginning you could have people in the film before he sets of on his lonely adventure. Then show a break up or something before he sets out on this research. I think maybe show him moving to a new house where he can't see his friends anymore or something along that lines. Maybe have a few people question him if he is doing ok since he seems to be depressed and a loner. Kinda reminds me of that movie 23 in some regards. Where you had to question if he was going crazy or if it was real.

Here is the Number 23 Trailer for reference just in case you never seen it. Donny Darko could be a good reference too.

http://youtu.be/4ElUBr6-GLU

Great job Adam. Hope you get a larger cast and crew for the next film. I think you got talent. Wish you best of luck in the future. Good job acting on this shot film too.

If you're a fan of the 11th Doctor you'll know the Silence characters, otherwise they haven't been featured in any of the older episodes.

Thanks, and I would definitely do all of that if I had more time to spend on the film, even used another actor so I could do proper camera work myself. If I ever return to this idea I'll definitely develop it. Haven't seen 23 but it does look good. I've seen Donnie Darko though, which is brilliant.

Thanks, and once this school year is done I'll be doing a lot more, even possibly will get into a film school next year!

Oh this film, The Butterfly Effect and EXPERIMENTAL won me 2nd best filmmaker at a national film festival.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm no narrator or actor so I felt that was going to happen from the start ha. Oh really? That's brilliant ha! If I had a weeping angel costume like in the show I'd love to make a short film with the weeping angels

I bet you could do a pretty good angel fan-film with a greenscreen and any given statue of an angel you can find. I mean, the key trait is that you can't ever see them move. It seems like some of the best recent Who creatures are very fan-film/low-budget friendly. They did show the Silence, but as your film demonstrates, the intensity happens when you don't see them. Angels never move when you see them. The Vashta Nerada are microscopic (all you need to show are shadows). Whatever it was in the episode Midnight was never seen (or named), and that was one of the most intense episodes I've ever seen (a must for any fans of horror/sci-fi).

Anyway, keep up the good work!

Back