• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch "KIN" 15 minute sci-fi

Hi guys. First time to ever really take part in a forum! I introduced myself over at the "Welcome" room.

This is my latest short film. A 15 minute sci-fi piece. This is my entry to the Youtube "Your Film Festival".

I actually wrote the story, thinking of it as a whole series. So there are things that will go unanswered in the short film. But if you guys have any questions or clarifications, I'd be more than glad to answer em :)

Any feedback, suggestions, advice would really be appreciated. Thanks!

LINK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8so_gGLVH4

Yep, we watched a different one... sorry, wrong post - I watched 5 or 6 in a row... re-watching shortly so I can give correct feedback.

Really nice. I loved the first scene. The derailed bowling alley was really cool, and had a tense atmosphere to it. The overall de-saturation feel worked really well (usually I don't like it that much), but this time I thought it suited the film well.

Wonderful visuals, great locations. Reminded me a bit of THX1138 once we got into the facility (the feature, not the short). The outside world stuff was wonderful (especially Duran Duran - RIO as a representation of all art ;) ).

The only part that fell apart for me was the amount of direct exposition in the middle of the short. Everything leading up to the conversation (in the same space?) with the back lit SED guy and everything after was really well done, I'd like to have seen that section reveal the information a little more slowly while he tried to cover up his tracks while trying to find the answers. If you could have kept that tension throughout that section that you had built up to that point, it would have been REALLY cool. Then the culminating events toward the end would have had even more impact.

Really nice. I loved the first scene. The derailed bowling alley was really cool, and had a tense atmosphere to it. The overall de-saturation feel worked really well (usually I don't like it that much), but this time I thought it suited the film well.
thanks! I know what you mean. Felt risky taking it that far, but overall it complimented the story really well so I decided to stick with it. glad you enjoyed!

glad to know someone picked up on that! :) We actually had a pretty wide selection of props to choose from to symbolize art. We thought about throwing all in (around 30) but thought best to just have a select few. I remembered the music video of RIO and thought it'd cover everything. Thanks man!

interesting. awesome insight, thank you. Now that you mention it, I remember while editing I noticed that it did feel kinda off coming from the phone conversation to the confrontation scene. Best way I thought of handling it was just fading to black to hopefully implement a certain lapse of time. But yeah in the end it came down to a maximum running time of 15 minutes so there was really no choice. We shot this a week before the deadline, so there was hardly any time to scout locations as well. Awesome insight though, I really appreciate it! thanks :D

Back