Here are some new things at http://LoganLProductions.com that may interest you guys:
1. I have set up a new forum! It's sort of a test...if people like it after a month or so, then I'll keep it forever and maybe create a better one! You can access it from the home page: http://LoganLProductions.com
2. Free royalty free music is coming! Two or three songs will be available for download on my site May 1 (I'll post here again when it happens), and I will continue to add music monthly/bimonthly after that!
3. New movie hosting! In order to raise about 1/6 of my next big projects' funding, I'm selling 600MB of my webspace for movie hosting (for very cheap!). I've also asked people to donate on my homepage...
..If more big changes to my site come, I'll let you guys know. In the mean time; what do y'all think of these additions?
04-15-2004, 09:59 PM
Be careful with the video-hosting. There are a few things to consider...
You have the host-space... do you have the throughput allowance? If you host a popular download, you may go over your limit... and there are two possible outcomes.
1) Your host will continue to allow downloads, and send you a hefty bill for extra bandwidth. (A pop-culture hit could get you a bill of 1k or more, for the monthly excess)
2) Your host cuts off downloads once limit is achieved. No hefty bill to deal with. Instead, you have an unhappy customer that is paying you a nominal amount to host a video file that is not able to be viewed 'til the beginning of the next month.
Obviously, this is a "worst case" scenario... but since I have no idea what kind of hosting you have, it is worth mentioning.
Good luck :)
LOGAN L Productions
04-15-2004, 10:29 PM
Trust me when I say that I have more than enough storage and bandwidth (60 Gigs a month to be exact). I get A LOT of traffic, and bandwidth and still, my highest usage is 4% of what I'm given! The problem is...despite my sites popularity, it's barely able to support itself fiscally, hence the selling of the space.
I wouldn't undertake something like that without knowing that it would work...I don't know, however, if it will sell...hasn't yet. I figured space and bandwidth was my site's best resource to take advantage of.
If my host's server ever did shut down (which is near impossible), I would naturally give my "customer" his/her money back!
04-16-2004, 10:30 AM
I get 150 gig bandwidth per month and 5 gig per day. I use about 3-4 gig per day & go over whenver I promote to certain sites.
(P.S. - I use POWWEB.COM and it's only$7.77 a month for that bandwidth plus 1 gig of storage...)
04-16-2004, 10:43 AM
wow thats a good deal you have there boo. I may have to think about switching hosts.
04-16-2004, 01:16 PM
If you do, make sure you reference sonnyboo.com - I get a $15 referral (as will you to anyone you refer after getting an account.)
It's $93.44 a year including the domain name registration fee!
LOGAN L Productions
04-16-2004, 01:56 PM
I use Powweb.com's competitor: Globat.com. It's 60 gigs of bandwidth a month (more than enough for me), and 2 Gigs of storage. $7.50 mo. both great deals. As you can tell; I get massive storage while you get massive bandwidth! Anyway...I'm just going to leave that offer (the cheap storage one) up on my homepage until my next bimonthly update. If people sign up, great! if not, that's okay...I'm enjoying my bigger website (I just built it 3 mo. ago), because I'm learning first hand what people want and expect from me and from the internet.
04-16-2004, 05:01 PM
Both are kick ass deals.
Just be very careful of bandwidth issues, as I said - I have tapped out several times & had to write code that throttles my bandwidth.
Even daily monitering isn't good enough. Read the terms of service agreement too, as sometimes video hsoting gets a seperate issue.
I think your idea is a good one and many people don't need a site, just a link to their short film, so I say GO FOR IT!
LOGAN L Productions
04-16-2004, 05:20 PM
I looked into everything, and I'm allowed to host media for other sites. It's all good. If someone's movie is so popular that it uses over 60gigs, then they don't need my service, hehe.
BTW: Sonnyboo, that's a lot of bandwidth! You're doing something right, haha.