• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

After Thought Kickstarter

I have to hook my amazon account up with my new debit card, but I'm always willing to support kickstarter campaigns with potential. I can't afford to back much, but I'll throw a little your way and hope you'll do the same when I start fundraising for my feature this fall.

PS. I know you mentioned this in the video... but $90,000? I may be a bit too skeptical but what in your budget is going to make this film cost that much?

Thank you for the support! As far as the budget goes with this film we have a lot of important characters for casting and we need help with a crew and locations. So the budget will pay for locations, crew, cast, equipment rental, etc. It sounds like a lot but I assure you that it is not much for the film we are hoping to make.

Compared to it's KS peer group average of around $2k to $6k for successfully funded films, that $90k is a whopper of a budget.
http://www.kickstarter.com/discover/categories/film & video/successful?ref=more#p5

About how many pages is the current screenplay and what are your distribution plans for the film after it's completed?

Thank You for your response.
We realize that it is larger amount of money to ask for through Kickstarter. The screenplay will be approximately 120-145 pages when it is completed. We have four writers we are splitting the film into four separate blocks and each of us are in charge of writing and directing our individual blocks. On the 5th block we are all writing and directing together. The first 4 blocks are going to be 12-20 pages and the 5th block will be 30-45 minutes. As far as distribution we are planning on releasing the film in the separate blocks online, and then we will sell DVD and Blu-ray copes independently. It will also be submitted to multiple film festivals.

It is a little scary that it's not finished. I mean, tweaks will always be made till it's in the can, but a solid version of it still.

Best of luck though! The multi director thing sounds hard too, but might be cool if pulled off!

You have to have a script. NickClapper is right! Number ONE must have for any project. On or off kickstarter trying to get funded. You need it on paper!!! WOW.

You are asking for $90,000.00? I thought I was pushing the envelop at $42,000.00). Next time our group will aim small. And. We have a great script. Polished after three years of rewrites and we have a cast! Problem is we can't get very many to view the project and have NO rich friends or family. So how are you guys getting people to your site (compare notes)?

I keep going back and changing my trailer on Kickstarter, improving based upon comments and suggestions here and from other threads. Just cannot get anyone to visit it, (except for a handful of IndieTalk 'friends' -- thanks to you who visited and gave me good comments).

SO TELL ME, UndertonePictures, how are you getting people to go visit your Kickstarter project, without a script? Anyone? How does one get the masses to visit their site (even with a polished script)?

Undertonepictures, Keep me up to date on what you are doing? And learning? Maybe we can compare notes?
Yes, I visited your site, have spent time on many Kickstarter sites.

Think I will upload another version of a newer edited trailer tomorrow. Not sure if you only get ONE CHANCE to catch a viewer's eye or many... got a lot of thumbs up and positive E-mails, but no backers. Hmmmm. Maybe I should come up with inexpensive digital video camera like the Digital Bolex? Those guys (and gals) ROCK! Check out their site -- Digital Bolex. Now there's a group making money on Kickstarter!!!!

Good luck to Undertonepictures...

You have to have a script. NickClapper is right! Number ONE must have for any project. On or off kickstarter trying to get funded. You need it on paper!!! WOW.

You are asking for $90,000.00? I thought I was pushing the envelop at $42,000.00). Next time our group will aim small. And. We have a great script. Polished after three years of rewrites and we have a cast! Problem is we can't get very many to view the project and have NO rich friends or family. So how are you guys getting people to your site (compare notes)?

I keep going back and changing my trailer on Kickstarter, improving based upon comments and suggestions here and from other threads. Just cannot get anyone to visit it, (except for a handful of IndieTalk 'friends' -- thanks to you who visited and gave me good comments).

SO TELL ME, UndertonePictures, how are you getting people to go visit your Kickstarter project, without a script? Anyone? How does one get the masses to visit their site (even with a polished script)?

Undertonepictures, Keep me up to date on what you are doing? And learning? Maybe we can compare notes?
Yes, I visited your site, have spent time on many Kickstarter sites.

Think I will upload another version of a newer edited trailer tomorrow. Not sure if you only get ONE CHANCE to catch a viewer's eye or many... got a lot of thumbs up and positive E-mails, but no backers. Hmmmm. Maybe I should come up with inexpensive digital video camera like the Digital Bolex? Those guys (and gals) ROCK! Check out their site -- Digital Bolex. Now there's a group making money on Kickstarter!!!!

Good luck to Undertonepictures...

Thanks again for the response.

As far as the script is concerned we are extremely close to having it done. Even though the script is not done we have been in pre-production for quite some time. First thing we did was come up with interesting characters, we where all assigned 5 characters to make each of us randomly drawing a different archetype for each character, such as an enforcer character, scavenger character, etc. After all of the characters were completed we brought them all together and compared them to see which ones would be enemies and which ones would be friends. Using this we created a basic story line. Keep in mind that we already had in mind the over arching story and at this time we were only working on character development and individual character story. Then we made a basic timeline and wrote it all out. From their we wrote a very in depth summary for the entire film. We then separated it into our 4 blocks. After we wrote another in-depth summary for each block. So even though we don't have a script we have every small detail of the film planned and we know exactly what we want to happen in the story. We even have most of the dialog planned, we just don't have it down in script form. As far as getting people to the Kickstarter page we are having some problems. We are relying on social networking with friends, family, and other means such as IndieTalk and other blogs.

As far as the budget is concerned we have it set at $90,000 because we have to pay for almost every aspect of the film. We own some equipment but not nearly enough for a project of this scale. We also have to pay for a lot of talent and locations. We are producing a post apocalyptic world and to do that it requires a good bit of money. We didn't set it low because we would rather shoot for the $90,000 or not be able to make the film at all. The last thing we want to do is set the budget to low and not have enough money to create or finish the film.

I hope this added some clarification. We are always open to criticism and we hope you will help share our Kickstarter campaign.

Back