• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Duo Tone - A Short Sci-Fi Thriller

A man is chased by an unknown enemy, as he tries to evade this mysterious enemy little does he know that there is no escape.

http://youtu.be/yB7MaIn30GA

Hope you all like it. Please have a look and let me know your thoughts.
Thanks

Last edited:
Looks nice, good quality shots but could have benefited with the use of a tripod in some scenes.

The Canon 50mm f1.8 looks like a good lens. Have you any more videos available?

With my usual caveat: I prefer not to critique others' works...

There were some creative choices made, but strictly from a technical standpoint this short suffered from a few of the standard shortcomings, most of which may be attributed to your use of a DSLR.

First, the use of 35mm lenses makes paying attention to focus crucial. Despite this, a significant percentage of indie films suffer from image focus issues. Maybe some people like that "searching for focus" technique, but I find it distracting. Not everything you shot had issues, of course, but there were enough instances of it that I found myself thinking about that rather than your story.

Second, there were sound issues, particularly inside the building. I'll leave it at that, since you probably know what I'm referring to.

Third, as Ceolwulf said, the hand-held got to be a bit much -- again, to the point of distraction. DSLRs do not look good hand-held, IMO. They're too light weight, which just makes the footage look amateurish.

Having said all that, though, I did appreciate some of the creative choices you made in your shot selection. And some of the above is probably just a matter of personal taste anyway.

Congrats on getting it done!

Thanks a lot for the critique. I will definitely look into the points you have mentioned.
On the sound, we didn't use any external sound recording devices, all the sound was recorded with the internal DSLR microphone, which i know i not of great quality, then we tried it to manipulate it a little in the post. I guess it didn't work out that well. But we tried our best to remove the harshness.

Last edited:
Really glad you liked the camera work. On the story, this one basically has an open story, there is no particular start or end to this one, we just wanted to have something which is open to the audience where in they would fill it with their own ideas or atleast they would be still curious. But the main idea was to create this indefinite loop where the protagonist has to go through the same cycle, in case he chooses to fight back and survive. He definitely has no clue whats going around him. Thats what the description tries to says "there is no escape". I hope i could explain this right.

No we did not use a steadicam. But we did use a simple custom made rig similar to the "zacuto striker" for added grip and stabilization.

I enjoyed it but the zooming issues did get distracting. The part when we learn the truth of the story was a bit underdeveloped - meaning I didn't quite get the reasoning behind it.

Other than that and the obvious sound issues, I think it was quite good. I did like some of your shot selection, as others said. Good work!

Thanks a lot for your comments. But i did not get the part where you mentioned zooming issues, i probably did not zoom in or out anywhere, this was entirely shot on a prime lens. If i am not wrong, i guess what you were trying to mention was the focusing.

Back