What camera class as an upgrade from XL2?

I will be working with my XL2 for a while yet as I make a few more shorts and improve my skillset. From there, I will be looking into HD cameras to continue with. I see so much info here that it is hard to decided which way to go. I see many folks here are using camera's like the 5D which as I understand it are primarily still cameras.I don't understand that.

I was looking into an actual video camera like a Canon XF100. I have limited help and gear to begin with so the xlr jacks on the video cam sound like a better idea than separate recording. Does that make any sense?

Which of the basic classes (still or camcorder) is the best choice for a newbish guy transitioning to HD from SD in your opinion? Why? Also, any specific recommendations on particular pieces of gear is appreciated. Thanks. :cool:

The DSLR guys like the large frame sensors and how cheap they are.

What are you thinking about spending on a camera upgrade? I can send you a few suggestions.

I'm not a huge DSLR user; however with a 3,000 buget, a DSLR may be the best choice. You could go for a Canon 5D III (a little more than 3k but is brand new sexy camera), a 5DII, or a 7D. Some on this forum will say go for a GH2 hacked. If you had a larger budget, say $6,000+ then I'd have different recommendations :)

Then again by the time you are ready to purchase an upgrade those listed cameras will be even cheaper and something new may have been released!

I'm currently working on moving from my XL1s to a Canon T2i to match my limited budget... with 3k, you could get a nice DLSR and some memory cards, rails, follow focus, external monitor and a mattebox :)

I've now shot with a DSLR and REALLY LOVE THE EXPERIENCE! The footage is phenomenally better than my XL1s as well (and will be better than your XL2 in the same manner).

Back