Comparing two lenses -- opinions?

I'm starting to seriously consider a "real" lens purchase (all the ones I currently own have been steals from eBay). I want a fast prime lens as a wider compliment to the 50mm I use now (I like the in-your-face look of wider angles).

At the moment, I'm between the Sigma 30mm 1.4 (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/381615-REG/Sigma_300101_30mm_f_1_4_EX_DC.html) and the Bower 35mm 1.4 (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/787251-REG/Bower_SLY3514C_35mm_f_1_4_Lens_for.html).

Does anyone have experience with either of these lenses that can offer some insight? The biggets difference I see, without having used either of them, is that there's autofocus on the Sigma vs. a manual aperture ring on the Bower. But I'm very curious as to the actual images they produce.

...or, is there a nice, cheaper eBay lens you'd suggest instead? I'm all for saving money :)

Thanks for any insight/suggestions!

What camera are you using?

35 mils are not wide at all - in fact on a crop sensor they are about 50mm in equivalent, so if you're looking for those beautiful wide estab shots, you're not going to get that with a T3i or T2i or even a M43s,

That is, if you have a 5D you're ok - but even still, it's not very wide - only about the perspective of human sight.

What camera are you using?

35 mils are not wide at all - in fact on a crop sensor they are about 50mm in equivalent, so if you're looking for those beautiful wide estab shots, you're not going to get that with a T3i or T2i or even a M43s,

That is, if you have a 5D you're ok - but even still, it's not very wide - only about the perspective of human sight.

I have a T3i. Yeah, I know they aren't super wide, but they're still wider than the 50 I use now. I was looking at these focal lengths because the prices at f/1.4 aren't absolutely ridiculous. It seems like once the focal length goes into the 20s, the price jacks up for wide apertures.

That's true, but when exactly would you use 1.4?

I own a Super-Takumar 1.4 and I shoot a lot of still shots at 1.4 but just for fun. I rarely use it wide open in video because it's way too thin of DOF.

I suggest you look at the original MIR-1s. It's a russian lens, 37mm f/2.8 made in the 60s.

I own one and it's in mint condition and I got it for $135 off ebay. BE CAREFUL THAT YOU LOOK AT THE MIR-1 and NOT the MIR-1B, the MIR-1B is black or dark blue, the original MIR-1 is Silver (chrome). There is apparently a huge quality drop from the MIR-1 to the MIR-1B.

I highly highly highly recommend it. It apparently beat the Zeiss lens way back when. It's got an awesome look to it.

Will probably save you $300, and I bet it provides better bokeh than the two lenses you mentioned.

Last edited:
I have a Sigma 24 f1.8 EX DG aspherical that I use on my 5D. I like it for wide shots and use for interiors a good bit. On your T3i it will equal about 35mm which is still slightly wide. I find that on my full frame camera (T3i is a crop sensor) the Sigma has less vignetting than my Canon 35mm f1.4L.

When I was in T2i land, my heart was set on the sigma 20mm about $600.

Im now waiting for the 17mm FD to get here (for GH2)

Most lenses have a sweet spot that is never on the end, so a f1.4 lens lets you get to that sweetspot at a bigger aperture then the same length lens starting an f4. On the f1.4 lens that sweetspot might be around f4, but on the f4 lens, it could be closer to f8 ... for what its worth, that's just my opinion.

I went with the Canon 28mm f/1.8 over the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 - it's about the same price, and although it's not quite as fast the extra width is useful; and unlike the Sigma it's compatible with full-frame cameras, which was important for me.

Alright, thanks for all the suggestions so far. I agree with wheatgrinder on the "sweet spot" -- however, call me a noob but I generally like to shoot wide open or one stop below. On my super takumar the crhomatic aberrations are obvious zoomed-in at f/1.4, but on 1080p video they're hard to see. So I'm really interested in a lens that I can shoot acceptable video on at f/1.4 or f/1.8.

Lucky Hardwood, you got me interested in the Sigma 24 f/1.8 as well (by the way, does EF-S not being compatible with a full-frame sensor just mean that the electronics don't match up, or is it something else?). My main concern with getting one of the Sigmas is that there is no manual aperture ring. If I upgrade to a non-canon body in the future (my current plans are with the yet-to-come GH3), then I won't be able to adjust aperture.

I'm still perusing eBay as well (the MIR-1 along with some others), so if you guys know of any others I should be looking at I'm all ears. Those lenses I mentioned are toward the top of my budget, but I'm more than happy to spend less if I can :)

Thanks!

ABSOLUTELY 100% go with the Bower... Scratch that, go with Rokinon. Same exact lens, different brand, $20 less.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/769569-REG/Rokinon_RK35M_C_35mm_f_1_4_Wide_Angle_US.html

The quality of the Rokinon optics is amazing. Sigma is definitely a lower-mid range brand, but the Rokinon glass easily compares to L. I have L lenses readily available, and I use my rokinon way more, it's that pretty.

The reason it costs as low as it does for the quality you get is because you aren't paying for servos or autofocus or anything, simply glass and a manually focus and aperture ring.

by the way, does EF-S not being compatible with a full-frame sensor just mean that the electronics don't match up, or is it something else?

Two reasons why EF-S lenses won't work on a FF camera - the back protrudes too far into the camera and could catch on the mirror, resulting in damage to the mirror or the lens; they don't project an image large enough to cover the sensor, so you end up with very heavy vignetting (everything other than a circle in the centre of the sensor is dark).

Two reasons why EF-S lenses won't work on a FF camera - the back protrudes too far into the camera and could catch on the mirror, resulting in damage to the mirror or the lens; they don't project an image large enough to cover the sensor, so you end up with very heavy vignetting (everything other than a circle in the centre of the sensor is dark).

Ah, good to know. So it looks like the Sigma 30 is out.

@PaulGriffith I wasn't aware of that about the Rokinon/Bower. That's awesome! If I don't go for any more used lenses it looks like that's the one I'll get.

I highly suggest going to your local camera shop and testing out lenses on your camera.

I am a bit skeptical on customer reviews and hear-say on the internet - find out for yourself!!!

They just released the 24mm, that's why there's not much about it.

Can't say from experience hands on with it specifically, but it's the next lens on my buy list. I'm happy enough with their other lenses to spring for that one.

Back