Canon 600D - Thoughts? Wisdom?

Hey,

I've lurked these forums for a while now but have never really had anything worth contributing. Bob Dylan said some shit about the times once, anyway.. I seek aid!
I've spent about a year tuning filming and editing techniques with a Sony HDR CX110 and the time has come for an upgrade. I'm studying and working a part-time job at a cinema at the moment and funds are scarce, which means I have my eye on a camera (excuse the pun) within my price range but still something that will keep me busy and satisfied for at least the next wee while. Something that is going to record professional looking footage but at the same time take a great still (video being priority). I'm not worried about audio, I'm somewhat the musical type so I have a decent condensor mic for my vocal/voice booth (a Rode NT1-A) on hand and my next purchase will be a boom mic and a portable audio device.

I've been doing a bit of research and I've come up with this - the Canon EOS 600D
It seems to do be able to do everything I want it to for the price I want to pay. Am I making the right decision?
I've found one for $699 AUD ($900NZD for me and about $730 USD for some of you) through a Hong Kong distributor which comes with a Canon EF-S18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 IS II kit lens to get me started.
What other cameras should I be looking at in this price range and why? Thanks.

Much appreciated.

Last edited:
Conventional wisdom seems to indicate that this camera is the best choice for video in that price bracket. The Nikon 5100 is also a consideration but doesn't allow manual exposure control while shooting like the 600D. If you moved up to the Canon 60D, the benefits are more for stills rather than video (eg. higher rate for continuous still shooting and more focus points).

I have also been looking at the 600D but there are some indications that a 650D will be released soon. While you may not be able to get one for the same price you have found on the 600D, I am hoping that it will at least reduce the asking price of the 600D as retailers seek to clear stock.

BTW, you may have warranty issues if you purchase a grey import. I'm not sure how it works in NZ but its not a simple thing in Aus. You have to consider whether that is a sufficient trade off for the lower price.

Good luck.

I own a 600D and am quite happy with it. But I was so close to getting a GH2 and I half-regret not getting that instead. If you can squeeze a few more dollars, I would give that one some serious consideration.

Here's a comparison between the 60D, Canon's next step up, and the GH2: http://dslrhd.com/2010/12/panasonic-gh2-vs-canon-60d/

Regardless of what you choose, old eBay prime lenses are your friend :yes:

Last edited:
Hey man,

I, too, was in your exact spot.

I decided to go with the T3i.

I barely use the kit lens, because I instantly bought a Super Takumar 50mm f/1.4, a nifty fifty (50mm f/1.8 Canon lens), a 10-22mm Canon lens, a 37mm f/2.8 MIR 1 lens, and a 58mm f/2.0 44-2 Helios lens.

I second the suggestion about the vintage primes. Most of my shots put up side by side to the set photographer who is using a 5D with a 24-70 L Canon lens, and the difference between the two is pretty amazing. Most of the time people prefer my shots to the "pro"s.

I think the T3i will be perfect for what you want to do. I also highly suggest purchasing Lightroom. It makes a big difference in the quality of photos.

Last edited:
Thanks guys.

I'm going ahead and buying the Canon EOS Kiss X5 which is the Japanese branded 600D. I found one with warranty for $559 AUD. Seems like a deal.
Please tell me if I'm wrong about that^

Just going to buy the body without a kit lens and try and pick up a few primes, a 50mm and something a little smaller most likely.

Back