Digital Bolex - 2K Raw at $2500

This looks pretty cool! I want to do a little more research into the people behind it, but if they can deliver on their campaign in a timely matter this is a pretty sweet little camera!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/joedp/the-digital-bolex-the-1st-affordable-digital-cinem?ref=live

http://www.digitalbolex.com/products/

Specs:
Resolution 2048 x 1152 (Super 16mm mode) + 1920 x 1080 pixels (16mm mode)
Format Adobe Cinema DNG, TIFF, JPEG Image sequences
Colour depth 12 bit – 4:4:4
File size 2 to 3 MB per frame in RAW
Sensor Kodak CCD: 12.85 mm (H) x 9.64 mm (V) – Similar to Super 16mm
Pixel Size 5.5 micron (compared to the 4.3 micron size of many DSLRs)
Framerate up to 32 fps at 2K, 60fps at 720p, 90 fps at 480p
Sound Balanced, 2 channel, 16 bit, 48 kHz via XLR
Viewfinder 320×240, 2.4” diagonal, with Focus Assist
Video out 640 x 480 B&W via ⅛” video jack (HD-SDI avail in separate unit)
Ports ⅛” video, headphone, USB 3.0, Audio XLR (2), 4-PIN XLR
Data Storage Dual CF card slots, SSD (buffer drive)
Power Internal battery, 12V External via 4 pin XLR port
ISO Options 100, 200, 400

Obviously, it's not a completely full-featured camera. The ISO goes up to 400, only SD video out, etc. But RAW video (or image sequence) at 2K for $2500, pretty cool.

I exported some 7D footage as 2K. Sick stuff :D
But… why?

Supercool. Wonder if it's wind-up...
You can use the handle to control frame rate for speed ramps, which is rather nice.

I love the concept and I really hope this works out… but I'm not going to get my hopes up.

But after watching the well-financed and well-intentioned Red Digital Cinema company struggle to deliver on their promises, and abandon the “3K for $3K” design/price-point of their Scarlet camera, one has to wonder if these flmmakers-turned-cameramakers have any idea of the challenges they’re about to face.
http://prolost.com/blog/2012/3/13/digital-bolex.html

That Digital Bolex looks "Cadillac", as we say in south MS. I really like what they've got going so far!

IndieBudget: I remember the Elphel project from a few years back. Had no idea those guys were still going with that. If I'm not mistaken, it was going on (or may have started around) the time we were going nuts experimenting with DOF adapters.

Getting a little nostalgic now, remembering the fun I had making "grainless" static microcrystalline wax screens and hunting up condenser/PCX lenses. :)

Why, if you don't mind me asking?

=]

Give it two weeks or so and you'll see.

Edit: Also, when I started thinking about it... I'm not gaga for raw or 2K. RAW I work with already, so no big deal. 2K isn't that much more than 1080 anyway, so no big deal either. And the sensor size leaves something to be desired. I like shooting S16, but I like it as an option, not as a mainstay. Meaning when I pick up Epic or GH2, It's a fun option and not mandatory.

This will be a great little camera for a LOT of people, though. No jello/cmos affects, and IMO CCD has always looked fuller and richer than CMOS to me. You've got to get 5K or so off of a CMOS camera before it starts competing with the "depth" of CCD.

I needs me sensor real-estate.

Last edited:
Why they didn't just approach Bolex with this proposal? Or do you think the success/subsequent interest proven by their Kickstarter program might be used in a future proposal to Bolex?

Back