60D

Has anyone here used the 60D? I hear the image quality is at least comparable to the 7D and it has a swivel LCD screen and manual audio control. For anyone who has used it I'm curious your opinions? Would it work for weddings as well as short films and industrial videos?

I own a 60D. The video quality by itself is comparable to the 7D since it uses the same sensor but you need to be aware that it's cropped and not a full frame.

The swivel screen was the main selling point for me when I purchased the hardware. It's great being able to shoot pictures and video from all kinds of angles. To this day I love the camera for it's picture quality especially in low light situations with a prime lens. I've customized my picture profiles to get the best quality out of my video.

The only thing, and I mean the only thing that drives me crazy is the gimped audio features. If you plan to shoot audio, do it externally from the device. Even when using things like Magic Lantern on my camera I found the audio to still be too over gained and hissy and I think it's due to the internal amplifier. The lack of a headphone jack makes audio a complete nightmare since you can't really tell what it's going to sound like.

I purchased a Canon XA10 just a couple of months ago and couldn't be happier. It uses XLR inputs and I get crystal clear audio out of the device on 2 dedicated stereo channels.

You may want to consider looking at the Canon 5D MKIII if you insist on recording audio directly to the device.

I own a 60D. The video quality by itself is comparable to the 7D since it uses the same sensor but you need to be aware that it's cropped and not a full frame.

The swivel screen was the main selling point for me when I purchased the hardware. It's great being able to shoot pictures and video from all kinds of angles. To this day I love the camera for it's picture quality especially in low light situations with a prime lens. I've customized my picture profiles to get the best quality out of my video.

The only thing, and I mean the only thing that drives me crazy is the gimped audio features. If you plan to shoot audio, do it externally from the device. Even when using things like Magic Lantern on my camera I found the audio to still be too over gained and hissy and I think it's due to the internal amplifier. The lack of a headphone jack makes audio a complete nightmare since you can't really tell what it's going to sound like.

I purchased a Canon XA10 just a couple of months ago and couldn't be happier. It uses XLR inputs and I get crystal clear audio out of the device on 2 dedicated stereo channels.

You may want to consider looking at the Canon 5D MKIII if you insist on recording audio directly to the device.

Thanks for the reply.

For short films and industrial videos I would record to an external source like an h4n. But if for some reason I was a one-man crew for a day it would be a little more difficult to do so. I was thinking about purchasing a Beachtek adapter that is made for SLR cameras so I can monitor audio via headphones as well as work with XLR mic's. I have a DXA-4P Beachtek adapter but I hear it's a nightmare to use with SLR cameras like the 60D. Audio seems to be the big hang-up with me so far.

Back