Question concerning: Canon 7D, Fotodiox Adapter and old Nikon lenses...

Hello All,

Been making films for some time now but not a big tech guy. Just got a 7D and bought a couple $16 Fotodiox lens adapters for Nikon. Now I'm on a quest to locate some old Nikon lenses on EBAY. The problem is I'm not 100% if they will connect to my Canon 7D w/ Adapter. How can I make sure? My gf has an older Canon Rebel and her lenses are too small for my 7D. Don't want to buy any small lenses. Here's a link to a couple lenses on Ebay that caught my eye...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Nikkor-50-mm-F-1-8-Lens-Vintage-/140718432020?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item20c378df14

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Series-E-28mm-1-2-8-Camera-Lens-VINTAGE-JAPAN-/200713433977?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item2ebb73f379

Basically how do I know these lenses are the right size for my 7D. Yes I know I'm a newb when it comes to cameras. Sorry ha. Thanks in advance to any help!

You make sure you match the lens mount to the nikon mount of the adapters you bought.

I recently bought a package deal off of ebay with a film camera and 3 lenses. All of the lenses were M42 mount. I made sure of this because I knew adapters for this mount are only about $7. So I now have 3 lenses that I got with the adapters $75 max.

Just make sure the lens mount matches the mount of your adapter and you'll be good.

I'm pretty sure Nikon hasn't changed their mount much, even when they started producing smart lenses with autofocus and what not. Those should work, just make sure they're all manual controls. The newer lenses will match up to the adapter but you can't open the aperture without a Nikon body.

The older lenses that your girlfrind has are most likely Canon FD lenses and won't fit directly to the newer Canon EF cameras. However, you can buy an adapter for your 7D and use those lenses instead of buying Nikon. The cost of an EOS to FD adapter will be cheaper than buying Nikon lenses...

Just realize that the crop factor on the 7D in addition to the crop factor of the adapter will double the size of your lenses. So a 50mm will become a 100mm, etc...

Last edited:
FD to EOS is a bad idea. You can buy adapters, but they will have to have a lens in them to change the focus plane. You lose a lot of quality that way.

I respectfully disagree. There will be limitations with the lenses, and yes you need an adapter with glass, but the quality is still there.

here's a video showing what you can do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b108QX3omwE

Just realize that the crop factor on the 7D in addition to the crop factor of the adapter will double the size of your lenses. So a 50mm will become a 100mm, etc...
7D is APS-C which is 1.6x which actually makes it an 80mm. There is no crop factor with an adapter. 'Crop factor' is an attribute of the body/sensor not the lens. Also, APS-C is actually a closer sensor size to typical 35mm film which is why I prefer it.

FD to EOS is a bad idea. You can buy adapters, but they will have to have a lens in them to change the focus plane. You lose a lot of quality that way. Nikon will be good.

I also have to disagree.

7D is APS-C which is 1.6x which actually makes it an 80mm. There is no crop factor with an adapter. 'Crop factor' is an attribute of the body/sensor not the lens. Also, APS-C is actually a closer sensor size to typical 35mm film which is why I prefer it.

An FD to EF adapter requires a glass element to achieve infinity focus, which is a 1.26x multiplier. While you are technically correct that there is no crop factor, you still end up with a significantly narrower field of view (the equivalent of using a lens twice as long on a FF camera).

Sorry, I have to disagree with your disagrees :)

A reduced FOV and a 1 stop loss of light IS diminishing the image quality.

I stand by my comment that using an FD to EOS adapter is not the best option.

Back