• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Sound inside a car

No I am filming a short movie. I need the audio to be better than just the audio on the camera. Am I making sense?
:lol: No. Not a darn bit.

1 - There is a car.
2 - There are actors in the car.
3 - The actors are engaged in conversational dialog.
4 - Is the car parked?
5 - Is the car driving down the road?
6 - If driving down the road are the windows up or down?
7 - Is your concern echo inside a confined space?
8 - Is your concern road noise from outside a moving vehicle?
9 - Is your concern wind noise from open windows?
10 - Is your concern filming/shooting through the windshield or closed window while recording interior audio?

lol i think i understand. you want to record a scene in a car, with ambient sound and dialogue? and you want the quality to be better than your onboard camera mic?
do you have access to an external mic, or digital recording device?
what type of camera are you using? does it have a mic input?
what do you have access to?

Okay, now that we have a clue as to what you are asking...

What audio equipment will you be working with?

What is your budget for (additional) equipment?

Oh, yeah, answer Rays questions...

Better than the onboard camera mic? That's pretty easy with a couple of lavs on the actors.

Making it sound like a movie scene? That's a bit more difficult. A rolling car produces lots of low-end rubble which may distract from the dialog. If the scene requires that the car be rolling, and there's no budget for a car trailer, then I'll record it while the car is rolling, placing lavs on the talent, or attached to the visors of the car as well as using a hyper to grab the sounds of the car with the actors not talking recorded to a separate track, and also get it all as wild lines with the car parked.

Yes to both

Okay I was wondering what the best way to get the best sound for filming a short inside a car?

Not sure if this is appropriate for your movie, but I've got a project in post where an entire scene takes place inside a large Ford medical transport van. The van is supposed to be moving and the actors need to be talking. Here's how it's broken down:

1. Filmed exterior/establishing shots of van driving over a bridge
2. Filmed interior shots with dialog using shotgun mic. Van was still, crew members rocked vehicle back and forth to make it appear to be moving on the inside. It was bright out, so light hitting the windows is blown out (all you see is white, not static objects in background), but actors are exposed properly. In the few shots where static objects are visible, my editor made them look blown out like the rest.
3. Foley/car ambiance has been recorded separately using a Tascam DR-40 with mics in AB configuration.
4. Dialog, vehicle ambiance, and sound effects are being mixed to appropriate levels in post.

Filming inside a non-moving vehicle worked for me because I liked the blown out look of the windows and had my editor crush the blacks a bit to give it a certain look and feel that is present throughout the movie.I certainly couldn't get away with this for every project though. The method I described would create images that wouldn't fit in, say, a romantic comedy.

Last edited:
Back