Funding shorts 'without a cause'

I'm working on a short film right now and need some funding. I wanted to know if any of you guys have any 'success stories' and tips regarding how to get money from other sources, especially when your short film does not really deal with social issues, etc. (ie. it does not deal with anything like brest cancer, so u cannot get a grant from such an organization; it's just a short telling a simple story).

So, what I am trying to say, have any of you ever gotten any money from other sources to make a short film just to entertain, or just for the sake of the art of short films?

Part of my short needs to be shot in a church. Have any of you worked with churches in that regard? I still have to contact them regarding that. Besides that, have any of you ever recieved support from churches?

Let me know...I'm about to go on the streets and beg for change... :roll:

My recommendation is to make sure that everyone knows you're making a short film and that you're looking for a few dollars for the production. When you meet new people, always bring it up as a topic of conversation. Make it as recognizable a part of you as your name.

The "success stories" I have are odd, and they're features, not shorts. But the dynamic is the same regardless of what you're after. As more and more people know you're after it, you hit a point where someone knows someone who knows someone who's got ten grand lying around and would love to spend it to create a nice little piece of art.

A funny story to build confidence. A producer I wrote for took a trip across country to set up a deal for her film, and everything went wrong. She was bemoaning this fact to the guy in the seat next to her on the way back here, and by the end of the flight he'd offered to put up $500k.

Which brings to mind a piece of wisdom given me by a marketing guru I worked with once: if you want a good network, fly first class. :)

Back