• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Shoot Out

Ive taken the advice from some of you fine people about my previous shorts and tried to apply them to my newest video. Shoot Out- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJG5pvk-3bI

The main issues with my past videos have been, sound (to ambient), lack of color correction, Lighting (particularly in indoors)

hopefully this video is a step in the right direction, but as always im eager to learn where i can improve my videos. so helpful criticism is welcome!

Hey man, I'm a fan of your short comedies and I think this one is the best so far ;)

Now for the "how could I get better part" --

Right off the start, when your taller actor takes the first step, you can tell he was queued into it. Reason why? Well he took a right step, even though his right leg was already in the front position. If you pay attention you notice the short step he takes in order to look as if he was in motion -- next time just have him take 2-3 steps while you record before he notices the item/person/animal whatever.

Also, the moment the two guys decide to have a face off could had lasted a bit longer and you could had zoomed in on their faces for a stronger feel.

Another thing I noticed was the fact you went against the 180degree rule. Not sure if you did it on purpose, but while the guys are shooting at each other, you filmed the guy on the right side from his right, which threw me off. Heres a quick link about it -- http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/180_degree_rule

Besides those simple things, you are getting better.
Keep it up!

Hey man, I'm a fan of your short comedies and I think this one is the best so far ;)

Now for the "how could I get better part" --

Right off the start, when your taller actor takes the first step, you can tell he was queued into it. Reason why? Well he took a right step, even though his right leg was already in the front position. If you pay attention you notice the short step he takes in order to look as if he was in motion -- next time just have him take 2-3 steps while you record before he notices the item/person/animal whatever.

Also, the moment the two guys decide to have a face off could had lasted a bit longer and you could had zoomed in on their faces for a stronger feel.

Another thing I noticed was the fact you went against the 180degree rule. Not sure if you did it on purpose, but while the guys are shooting at each other, you filmed the guy on the right side from his right, which threw me off. Heres a quick link about it -- http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/180_degree_rule

Besides those simple things, you are getting better.
Keep it up!

Thanks for the tips! The 180 degree thing was sort of intentional from the aspect that if we had recorded the bearded guy from the right angle the camera mans shadow would've been in the shot. Probably not a big deal if it was and I later noticed in editing that they both shoot from the same direction. Lesson learned I suppose :)

Thanks again for the helpful advice!

Thanks for the tips! The 180 degree thing was sort of intentional from the aspect that if we had recorded the bearded guy from the right angle the camera mans shadow would've been in the shot. Probably not a big deal if it was and I later noticed in editing that they both shoot from the same direction. Lesson learned I suppose :)

Thanks again for the helpful advice!

If a shadow was an issue, shoot at an upwards angle where the shadow won't be seen.

Glad I was able to help lol.

Joey

Last edited:
If a shadow was an issue, shoot up where the shadow won't be seen.

Glad I was able to help lol.

Joey

The prone shot was the issue, but all the other shots could've been shot from the right angle. I just need to film during normal day hours and not at dusk. I'm sure that would fix most of my issues lol.

Looks like they'd be the first people to go during a zombie apocalypse haha :) good work though, definitely getting better!

I think I liked the previous short better.

This felt a little long and repetitive.

The ground hits around the 30 second mark looked a little fake and didn't seem to time with the shots, or it felt like too many shots

The highlights on the ground around the 40 second looked fake. You should have also highlighted the actors or forgone the highlights all together.

Around the 47 second mark, the ground hit in the background just vanishes. That was distracting.

The color shift as he goes from prone to standing around the 1:06 mark seemed like auto white balance was turned on.

More ground hits that just vanished while the debris was still in air.

Music was good and the sound was much improved.

The color on the ground hits around the 1:25 mark is off. Some have too dark an edge making them look a little fake. Also some of the hits again just drop off and they don't seem to time just right with the gunfire.

Back