• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Cameras and Sound. How Do They Even Work?

Hi! I'm a senior in High School, trying to make a short film to send in for an application into film school. I have a Kodak Zi6, a Panasonic PV-GS31 and a Panasonic PV-D426 to work with. It's not great, I know, but it's what we have. I was thinking of using both the Kodak and the GS31, and filming at the same time to get different shots of the same scene. The GS31 apparently has a noise canceling, zoom microphone built into it, so if I had to I would probably get my audio from that camera. I have about $200.00 to buy new equipment with, though, so I was considering getting a sound recorder and a microphone to enhance the sound quality since none of my cameras have an input for external microphones and I will be filming outdoors for most of it and would need a wind guard so my actor's voices aren't drowned out by the wind noises. I'd probably get the Olympus V404130BU000 VN-7200 Digital Voice Recorder and the Olympus ME-52 Noise Cancelling Microphone.

Now for my questions. Does anything strike you as completely wrong? I'm totally new to film making, so I don't know what works and what doesn't. Should I keep the audio from the camera with the built in noise cancelling microphone? Should I try to find someone who will let me borrow a better camera? Is there a better way to spend my money than on sound equipment? And do you have any suggestions for me?

Need an Olympus recorder w/ PC in the number on the cheaper ones.The model you indicated does not hook up to a computer or have an SD card Im thinking. I use the Olympus VN-8100PC recorder meself. Might suggest the Olympus ME-15 Lav .. it has a cable, better for hiding. This is the cheapest of the cheap, but master it and go from there. If your production has a budget try and hire a pro...but Im a DIYer myself.

One should invest wisely in sound or else you will suffer w/ crappy sound. Im learning that I must focus as much on getting sound on the set as much as getting the image. Too often sound is an afterthought.

Last edited:
Back