DOF Adapter for My Canon Vixia HF M40

I'm trying to get some better control over depth of field with my new camera and decided to look into building a DOF adapter on my extremely low budget (I'm a student of course). From what I understand, the basic elements that I need are: an extension tube, ground glass, a ground glass holder. I feel like I've read a billion and a half guides and forums about building 35mm adapters, but I can't figure out how to make sure all the parts match and will work on my camera and SLR lens. I bought a Nikon extension tube with numbers 1 2 and 3 on impulse because it was cheap. What sizes of the rest of the items should I be looking at? I'm trying to use my Pentax SLR lens with my Canon Vixia HV m40. Any tips? Thanks!

I built an adapter using Canon tubes for my JVC HD7. It works great.

I bought this kit off of ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kit-set-DIY...189?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a67ac63ed

The kit is great, but the GG is crap that produces a lot vignetting. So I bought a Canon Ee-S focusing screen to replace it, and it's tons better.

I then mounted it in the extension tubes and used a series of step-up rings to match the size of my camcorder lens to the extension tubes. You'll also need a diopter so your camcorder can focus properly (I used a +10) and a CPL filter (remove the glass) so you can turn the whole thing to properly line up the screen.

It ain't easy and took some trial and error, but I got it to work pretty well. I even bought an FD to EOS adapter so I can used my FD lenses, only the GG holder had to be reset at a different focal length for this.

Here's a good DIY breakdown of a DOF adapter:

hv20.jpg

Hope this helps!

Back