• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Sci-fi kun-fu "Somnius" trailer

Somnius has been a project I've been working on for almost a year now. The project had been filmed over 7 days during the month of April last year. Since then, I've been working on miniature models and vfx. The models were built over a period of 6 months with a few freelance jobs inbetween. We managed to film all the miniatures in two nights. I posted a trailer of this film a while back with a few concept tests for the model ships. Anyways, let me know what you all think!

Somnius trailer

-Denver

Last edited:
Each trailer is even better than the last. Man, I cannot wait to see this thing. Keep up the good work.

Favorite of the trailers. Amazing space shots. How do you guys do your solar flares?

I used my canon t2i on a 10mm lense (you could use any lense really) and filmed into a spot light at night (black background.) Moved the camera around a bunch to get all sorts of different flares. Then when I import the footage, I can just layer the lens flares over footage using either "add" or "screen."

The miniatures look real good. I'm impressed with the space shots. Less so with the larger honeycomb vx. The explosion at :25 looked a bit below par compared with the rest of the trailer.

Good luck.

---

great trailer... looking so awesome, crisp and nice.... all i would want in a sci-fi...

though i felt that when the monk uses his shield on the beach against one of the bandits, it looks like he is going wayyyyyy too slow to cause any impact damage...

also, the continuing lens flare on his head, is kinda distracting...

Looks great, cant wait to see the finished film. So glad to see good use of miniatures. I dont mind cgi in it`s place but was brought up on the movies of the 60`s, 70`s and 80`s. so prefer models.

great trailer... looking so awesome, crisp and nice.... all i would want in a sci-fi...

though i felt that when the monk uses his shield on the beach against one of the bandits, it looks like he is going wayyyyyy too slow to cause any impact damage...

also, the continuing lens flare on his head, is kinda distracting...

Yea, I was kinda struggling with the thought of wether to keep the monks flare on in every shot or wether to remove it. I do agree it's somewhat distracting in a couple of shots so thanks for the input!!! I'll be doing a second pass on all the vfx when I'm done!

I used my canon t2i on a 10mm lense (you could use any lense really) and filmed into a spot light at night (black background.) Moved the camera around a bunch to get all sorts of different flares. Then when I import the footage, I can just layer the lens flares over footage using either "add" or "screen."

So cool. Keep up the good work.

You had me at "Sci-fi kung fu".

But really, it was great. Loved the surreal cinematography, editing, score and effects. Looks like you put A LOT of effort into it.

One thing bothered me a bit, the main character looked too much like that bald kid from "The Airbenders", or whatever it's called. The clothes, etc.

I really want to see the complete movie. This is a great example that you don't need a big budget to get a cool result.

Back