GH2 & an Economical Wide lens?

I'm thinking of getting a GH2. I'm hoping to get a lens that will give me some kind of wide angle focal length. I'm rather partial to fix lens as opposed to zooms.

I'm hoping my fd lenses, a 24, a 50, and an 85 will give me good coverage in the higher focal point range.

I'm looking at the Panasonic - Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Lens. Customer reviews on B&H are kind of all over the place.

What do you think of that lens? Is the 14-42 kit lens actually a better lens, or more useful, or do you like the fixed 14mm? Or is there something else that's economical that I should be looking at for a wide?

Thanks for any help. =)

Richy? GH2? Hell frozen over. xD

Just kiddin'.

14's too wide IMO, a 17~20 should be wide enough.

The wider you go, the less the sensor size matters. I learn this every time I go to strap the 11-16/2.8 on and realize 16 is too friggin' wide for most applications.

What's more important is speed, so if you can find something in that range that's pretty fast, that's probably the lens to work with

My widest preference on this cam's about a 17mm, but a 20/1.7~1.8 is ideal. Sigma makes one, Panasonic's got a 20/1.7 Lumix lens.

=P, Kholi.

Thank you so much for your advice.

Sounds like you think the better choice is the Lumix 20mm. Excellant, I'll look at that then. Like you say, it's faster too, which makes it more appealing.

:)

PS You know, I've been reading about sensor dust a lot lately. Even if I could afford a 5D Mark II, I don't think I'd be willing to keep the mirror open and shoot video on my Precious. =P

Last edited:
=P, Kholi.

Thank you so much for your advice.

Sounds like you think the better choice is the Lumix 20mm. Excellant, I'll look at that then. Like you say, it's faster too, which makes it more appealing.

:)

I think the Lumix 20mm will be sharper wide open, but I also dunno how it'll play with the crazy hacks. I've gotten record errors with panasonic lenses.

Currently, my personal debate is whether or not to buy the 20/1.8 sigma, that would be the last lens I own for this camera. And, it'll port over to just about any other camera I buy later on. That's pretty important to consider.

I think it's good to go at least 14mm, you might need it. Just get the $100 kit lens. It'll 14mm.

I like using 14mm in ETC mode for hand held stuff cuz it cut back on the jellovision. I use the 14-55 Olympus f2.8.

If you have a GH2 you will eventually hack it, but there is no hurry. You will discover why you want it on your own, get shooting stock NOW, with those FD lenses and the stock kit lens (almost my setup exact) you will be very happy. When you realize you want to up your quality in detail, or improve the motion, you will hack. But before then, I promise you will be 99% satisfied.

As for too wide.. interior shooting, you'll want it. For any kinda of full shot or group shot.

ONLY reason to buy the GH2 is the hack. Without the hack it's inferior to the Canons. With it it's as least as good and the fan boys ( :lol: ) would say better.

As a fanboy of great images (doesn't matter which camera they come from) I agree. If it's my hacked it's not worth it. It's only as good as canons without the hack, and surpasses everything sub Fs100 with the hack.

About 14mm - that lens distorts too much for my tastes. Even the tokin- 11-16's 16 end distorts like mad. If thats the desired effect then go for it. I was learned that if you can't get the shot on your widest lens with thenleast distortion then rethink the shot. Others mileage will vary though.

Brian is right about ETC mode and jello, but just realize in ETC mode the 14's got the angle of a 35 on the Gh2, or a 50 on an APS-C camera. DOF I'd also drastically increased I.e less shallow and The noise increased by two stops.

EDIT: HAHA I sound like a rabid fanboy... Im not really.. I swear it! ;)

sorry, prior to the hack many were calling the GH2 better video camera then the T2i, I agreed. I had both cams in my hand, bought and paid for when I made that call. The hacked T2i went on the shelf, well before the GH2 was hacked.

But that's my noob opinion. YMMV

Iv never used ETC. Never found a reason too. I see that some folks get the super wide 8mm TV lenses and run ETC mode to record without the vingete, but meh, way too stylistic for me.

Last edited:
Really no reason to have a lens with a wider FOV than 28MM on a full frame, what ever that translates to on the GH2. 14mm I guess.

Not in video modes. 28mm on 5D in video, to match that you need a 17~19mm. Still, the characteristics are different. This is exactly why I do like Full Frame, because my widest is going to be a 28 and it's gonna look damned good.

Uh oh. Why do you think that, Gonzo? Isn't the GH2 supposed to be better out of the box with moire and rolling shutter?

GH2 out of box will dust any other DSLR in resolution, with regards to Canons, a GH2 is not just far sharper, but also gets only a nominal amount of aliasing and moire, two things that plague the Canons to no end. Apply the hack, now we're lapping the competition.

GH2 owners also are taught a secret handshake that allows us to stealthily identify ourselves to other GH2ers at parties and such.

GH2 out of box will dust any other DSLR in resolution, with regards to Canons, a GH2 is not just far sharper, but also gets only a nominal amount of aliasing and moire, two things that plague the Canons to no end. Apply the hack, now we're lapping the competition.

GH2 owners also are taught a secret handshake that allows us to stealthily identify ourselves to other GH2ers at parties and such.

:lol:

Excellant. :cool:

EDIT:

Iv never used ETC. Never found a reason too. I see that some folks get the super wide 8mm TV lenses and run ETC mode to record without the vingete, but meh, way too stylistic for me.

It's a nice feature. Instant tele. But I like it most for handheld -- especially if you need a chase sequence of some kind, it will significantly cut back on the skew/jello. Be sure to give it muy light. ETC likes light.

Back