Sony nex 5n

Sony nex 5n for filmmaking. wrong title.
Damn it...I mistyped. It is LATE at night and this is stressing me out.

Got laid off my job, along with several other workers. That is why I haven't been around the past few days. Sadly, I won't get to work with the job's canon 5D mark II.

I tried search...but after all of this, I am ready to shoot on a couple of canon nex 5n cameras...but when I look at those little things (which I realize is pretty much all sensor) part of me really thinks it crazy to try.

I looked at other cameras, but this one has a larger sensor. I figured with a seperate audio recorder and some good batteries and memory cards..(mics, tripod, steadicam).maybe I could do it. It ACTUALLY records at 24p.

However, to do a whole movie with a couple of those little cameras nevertheless makes me worry...but I can't get past the great image quality.

Maybe I will just go with the sony nex-vg10...because it will obviously be easier to work....but it doesn't record in 24p and although it can go 30p it saves in interlaced! damn it. the videos online don't look as good, either.
Great lens on it....I just can't decide. I have googled and gotten so frustrated because I don't know how to make a decision like this.

sorry for fishing for info. found a bunch of different opinions on this site. Sony nex 5n is hard to find to know if it would be realistic for making a movie...but I don't mind making concessions...I just need to understand them better...dah...I am learning just enough about cameras to make it impossible for me to decide which to buy because I realize I will never learn enough. lol

peace guys.
I looked at other cameras too that people recommended. Panasonic gh2 canon t31 and 60d...but this sensor seems better on both the 5n and the vg-10.
Do you guys think 2 Sony nex 5n cameras could be used effectively in the field (indoors and outdoors) for filmmaking?

If you're considering buying the VG10, you should note the Nex-VG20 was released fairly recently. That shoots 24p and solves some of the issues with the VG10.

Good luck with your pursuits.

I agree about the nex vg20 being better, but with the lens it is over 2,100.
The vg10 with the lens is 1,700.
And then getting the sony nex 5n instead would enable me to get 2 of them for around 1,200. however, I also have to worry about a lens for that. damn......feel like johnny 5..
need input.

They're good.
Since I mentioned the nex 5n last, I will assume you mean that....but yeah...they are awesome. I can't believe the quality. The lenses are super expensive if you want wide angle with a long zoom. Will it shoot widescreen anyway though because of the shape of the sensor?

However, by the time I get a lens and sound recorder and steadicam it might cost around the same as the Sony nexvg20...which I think I might borrow the extra amount to fill it in. I liked that idea.

The nexvg20 or the nex 5n with a bunch of extra stuff.
I looked up batteries for it and it sounds like I would have to buy a bunch but they are affordable. I would be shooting all day, but stopping and starting constantly and taking breaks due to overheating. I am making a full length film. I can't see why a full length movie can't be shot on one of these....perhaps I Will have to only get one due to the extras I need to buy.

IF I do get the alternative, I will then probably get the vg20.

I have the Sony FS100, and have been thinking of getting the NEX 5 as a B cam. It will use all the same lens and adapters I have. Philip Bloom did a short video, using the NEX 5. Check it out, maybe it will help with your decision. I think someplace in his blog, he talked about th filming of this video, and how the NEX 5 worked out. Hope this helps.

http://philipbloom.net/film/booths-and-bodies/

Jeff

I'll go check out the video. THANKS!
The lenses seem so expensive if you want wide angle for the sony nex 5n. It also seems that there is no reason you couldn't shoot a full length film project on this, as long as you let it rest regularly, and buy all the extras (steadicam, REALLY high quality recording aquipment) Would you agree?
Would you consider the vg20 cause it has the same sensor size and shoots in 24p as well?

WAIT A MINUTE.
If I get the camcorder(springing for the vg20), I am getting the same thing with all the extras built in, where as if I get the camera (5n) I am just getting the same camera without the extras, but then I can pick and choose the extras. THis is so damn hard to decide.

Ok...ok....I will probably just get ONE nex 5n for now, and then get all the add ons to go with it. I am trying to come up with a list of all I need to get. Then I can compare it to the vg20. The extras seem to be: lens (hard to find a wide angle one under 700 dollars damn it) recorder (another 300) and a steadicam (200) (I am not including the cost of a tripod and additional things I won;t buy WITH the camera. Man...this isn't too much difference....AUGH! I don't want to get the wrong choice and get screwed.
Does the vg20 record as well as the nex 5n?

I just read about the QUALITY of the video on the nex 5n. I admit it is amazing. I am finding it hard to find info about the alternatives. It is just so weird to shoot a video on this tiny thing that is a full length movie. However, I want what will LOOK the best...that is why I was looking at the vg20 to see if the image quality is the same.

I surfed for lenses and found some for cheaper. 300 price range. A friend told me not to buy crappy lenses though. How does one tell on these things? thinking...thinking...thinking...

Back