• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Short film I worked as Camera OP/Co-Director on

Looks like the first one is supposed to showcase your VFX work... it needs more work.

Fireballs are panning with the camera, the muzzleflashes need some serious blending work... and in some instances they are even missing as the guy is shooting! What the heck are those random purple lines that show up at 1:14? :huh:

Couldn't figure out what the story was about. Whole bunch o' nuthin' happens in the middle, and he finally gets up & walks away heroically...

You need a story in place before you pick up that camera.

If you don't think you can write one, there will be someone in the Screenwriting section of the forums who will have either have one for you, or who can write one. A 60-second story is the most you need. Ask for one. One minute max.

You just need to know what you are shooting first, and build your plan from there.

You can do it. :yes:

second clip is a very rough cut. Don't comment on it

Roger that.

Hey,

Not bad camera work. The pacing of the film was kinda slow and I didn't really see what the Rocky Balboa voice over had to do with Call of Duty.

A few things you can think about before you film your next film. Try to not have houses in the back ground, find a way to make the scene look rural. The explosions can be improved a lot. I did a film last month using explosions off http://detfilmshd.com/Collections_Overview.html . They are pretty quality for being cheap. Also think about buying some smoke flares off a website like... http://www.wafireworks.com/SMOKE2012.htm . They add a lot to the atmosphere.

Any way keep up the good work. Watch a lot of action films and take some tips. Here's the little thing I just did for cheap... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WURum3WL168

Thanks for the feedback. These were very rudimentary videos that were filmed in 3 hours and written as we went. I didn't write any of these. I have my own that I have written and want to work on eventually. I was just there to lend a camera and some input. I didn't even stick around for editing :)

I was just there to lend a camera

Oh. I was so distracted by the lolwtf of post-prod that I forgot to pay attention to the camerawork. :blush:

So I watched it again. :cool:

What are you using to help keep your camera steady, as you run about?

Also, starting at about 0:30 the camera starts to buck wildly, for no apparent reason. It does it three times. Were you trying to simulate the camera being shaken by exploding shells off-camera? If so, it can be a very effective... providing the audio is there back it up. (It also helps if the actor goes along with it, too)

Keep at it. The more practice, the better. There was nothing out of focus. Maybe a bit of blown out sky at the end, but nothing major. Maybe could have taken more insert shots. More detail to share with the audience.

At any rate, it's better than my footage. I'm a menace with a camera. ;)

the camera is moving for the explosion effect yes. I didn't use anything to steady the camera, I just collapsed the tripod legs and extended the neck to make it longer and held the base close to my body to try to minimize the shakiness. I like being camera-op with my friends because they usually let me take the shots as I see fit and I am a nazi with the camera so I love having things go my way. I am actually working on something else with a different friend that I want to have written by the end of the week so I can start filming something new next weekend.

Back