• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How do i got unsigned artists to let me use their music?

I have my eye on this hip hop artist named ScienZe.

His music is amazing and perfect for my films. It seems like He uses facebook often, but how do you get unsigned artists to let you use their music??

It's so hard to get quality music for films. :(

Every working artist usually makes it pretty easy to contact them or a booking agent/manager. Look at their website, facebook, etc for a booking email or other contact form and approach it professionally. Sell the project like you would to anyone else you want to be involved. If you can pay, offer a standard license fee or similar, if you can't afford that, ask for something less. Being independent, they may be a lot more likely to sign on for a little less or in exchange for some prominent placed "featuring music by.." on posters, DVD covers, etc.

Ask! Musicians are always looking for ways to get their music heard, and the worst he can say is no. If he wants some money, negotiate from there, and if he's not interested in your project, well, I'm sure you can find another similar artist who does what you want.

Send him a message on facebook, or if he has an official site, contact him that way. Reverbnation is another place to check out for indie/unsigned artists. At the very least, any artist likes to hear that someone listened to and enjoyed their work :D

Every working artist usually makes it pretty easy to contact them or a booking agent/manager. Look at their website, facebook, etc for a booking email or other contact form and approach it professionally. Sell the project like you would to anyone else you want to be involved. If you can pay, offer a standard license fee or similar, if you can't afford that, ask for something less. Being independent, they may be a lot more likely to sign on for a little less or in exchange for some prominent placed "featuring music by.." on posters, DVD covers, etc.

Yea ScienZe has a facebook page that it seems like he does visit, not everyday though. I messaged him but no response as of yet. I fear he never will.

Scratch that...just got a response via email!!!

agreed

I totally agree with what everyone else has been saying.

It doesn't hurt to ask as well as just looking around.

In my experience, also working out some sort of marketing distribution is also good. For example, their name can be featured in all the advertising material. If you have budget, its good to be able to pay as well, but if not, there are other deals you can work out.

Good luck!

It's so hard to get quality music for films. :(

No, it's not. :hmm:

There are more bands out there that you can shake a stick at, looking for any kind of break.

If you can't get the song/band you want, there are a hundred more of similar quality that would snap up the opportunity in an instant.

how do you get unsigned artists to let you use their music??

You ask them if you can use their music, and tell them you have no money. :huh:

It really is that simple.

If they agree to let you use use a track of theirs, mail them a release form (along with a return envelope, for their convenience).

If they do not reply (or say no), then go down that list of alternatives.

It is impossible to end up with nothing, if you ask. :cool:

Getting music is sooooo easy!
Like some of you said, ASK. They would be so thrilled someone using their music. I even had major composers (film) willing to grant permission to use their music free of charge. Just tell them how it will be used and a few examples what you did in the past would help a lot.

Not only that, but they may even compose something for you at no cost!
Asking don't cost money :)
If they don't want to cooperate, move on. There are many others out there who are willing to collaborate with you.

The only band that has ever said no to me was one that had been signed by a major label, has been featured on David Letterman, and is currently selling out stadiums, worldwide. And they actually didn't say no, they just said that I would have to properly license the music, and that I'd have to speak to their label for that.

Every other band I've ever asked has said yes.

Back